paying extra on brake pads

I have a low groan noise after braking, it happens just a few yards before I finally stop. It's on 2002 Corolla which has done 75K miles.

I've been advised that brake pads are a bit thin on the rear wheels. Going on the internet to buy some, I see there are just so many makes; I'm guessing a lot are Chinese.

Is there any particular makes of pads that it might be worth paying a bit extra to get please?

Reply to
john east

Check dealer price first; you're probably only going to be changing them once.

Otherwise, Ferodo or EBC (but beware if you buy from eBay!)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ain't that true! (eBay)

Reply to
Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris thanks. Ringing around, neither of my local suppliers are doing either Ferodo or EBC brake pads. Toyota want £40 inc vat for the rear set of pads, and my usual supplier wants £18.64 inc vat for some pads called Apec. What now to do? since I dont know if I should spend twice as much on the Toyota ones?

Reply to
john east

I've used this Co several times over the years to buy pads and discs for relatively high performance cars. Celica turbos, BMW 528 etc. No problems with quality or performance, and their prices seem lower than those you've received so far. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you buy them off a local dealer then you can complain.

The rears don't do much braking anyway.

Reply to
Rob

Or perhaps more importantly return them if they are the wrong ones!

I would never buy Pug/Cit brake parts online; the factory fitted whatever was to hand on any given day! Often dealers are totally bemused as to what parts fit which particular car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

one of the good bits about buying Japanese is that they are very efficient at correctly identifying parts for their vehicles. genuine pad kits for Toyota usually include all the little springs and shims, while pattern stuff rarely has anything more than the pads themselves. genuine stuff fits first time with ease, pattern stuff may not, and often doesn't. On something like brake parts is it really worth penny pinching?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EBC rears cost £50 for the Corolla so I'd say if £40 is for the complete set it is worth paying. Of all the components to get pikey about brakes are not the parts to consider on cost alone.

Reply to
Steve Firth

+1. I've used them exclusively for years. *Top* firm.

JB

Reply to
JB

Just around the corner from me...

Use them regularly, wouldnt bother anywhere else, there stuff just fits and 99% is bang on the button!

Reply to
Tom Burton

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:31:40 +0000, Chris Whelan ventured forth with:

I've owned a few Citroens. Xantias and ZXs amongst others.

It's , erm, interesting, trying to get brake parts for them.

Reply to
Mike P

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 08:47:46 +0100, Mrcheerful ventured forth with:

I bought a set of pads for the MX-5 recently, they weren't OEM but fitted ok and seem to work fine, though the MX-5 is so light I'm not sure I can tell the difference!

Reply to
Mike P

The term "brake" should be removed from that sentence. I can recall trying to get an alternator for a Visa back in 1983. I had VIN and year and month of manufacture, that narrowed it down to five possible alternators and six possible electronic blocks. Apparently even two consecutive cars on the line could have different parts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Like getting brake pads for a Nissan Priumla.

Reply to
SteveH

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:44:24 +0000, Steve Firth ventured forth with:

I appear to be having similar fun with Berlingo suspension parts. Of course, you only find out that the dealer or GSF have given you the wrong part once the lower arm, strut, spring and droplinks are lying on the drive, rather than being attached to a driveable car..

Reply to
Mike P