Peogeot 306 no hot idle

I usually avoid anything French, but an old friend has asked me to look at her 306 petrol. it idles ok from cold but no idle when warm.

When it comes in I will check for obvious things like vacuum leaks, loose connectors etc. but what next? coolant temp sender? crank sensor?

Are there any well known 'it is most likely to be' bits on one of these?

I have access to a newish diagnostic tester, but whether it reads Peugeot I do not know, yet..

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Take it you already know how long the bit of string is?

Does it just cut-out dead? Does it restart fine? Could be something like a fuel pump relay failing (which are guaranteed to work fine when you don't want them to!), or the IACV failing when hot.

But don't rule out a bad earth. Seen a couple recently where they were cutting out dead, and it turned out to be broken earth wires, between the engine/body.

Reply to
M Cuthill

It can be kept going with a bit of throttle.

Reply to
mrcheerful

In that case, if there are no obvious faults, I'd be running a diagnositc check.

Sounds like a dodgy IACV, or something causing it not to be activate the idle system (throttle position sensor/microswitch depending on set-up). A diagnostic check, should highlight what's going on.

Reply to
M Cuthill

IF it idles smoothly and nice with alittle throttle (i.e not rich/lean or misfiring) then you need to look at why the ISCV is not opening (enough) to maintan the idle. My guess is its getting stuck closed when it warms up.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...