306 Auto no Idle

Hi,

Well my g/f seems to have a little problem with her N'Reg 1995 Peugeot 306

1.8 Auto, and wondered if anyone on here could help me solve the problem. The car has only done 41,000 miles from new and started to stall when she would slow down for traffic lights or junctions. Seeing that it was an auto I thought I would do the age old trick of changing the spark plugs. So the car runs fine for two days solid but then one morning when she goes to use it, it won't start, I go out and start it by actually holding the throttle down a little, and it springs into life but won't tick over... I let the car warm up and it then idles fine. Being a little nervous of using it my gf decides to catch the bus that day. So later that day (around lunch time) I come home, try to start the car, and its the same situation, won't idle but revs fine, when it got warm it was ok. The next day I take it to my mechanic and ask him to check this like the idle control valve (stepping motor), throttle bodies, vacuum pipes.. normal stuff... That afternoon he brought the car back and said the car cuts out when it gets warm, but couldn't solve the problem. He had cleaned the Idle control valve, throttle bodies, checked the vacuum pipes.. but it was now doing the opposite of what it was doing the other day...

1st problem was - cutting out when warm...

2nd problem was - not running when cold.....

After cleaning it all...

3rd problem was - cutting out when warm...

So here's the situation, my mechanic recommending I take it to a local Peugeot dealer to have it put on there computers to diagnose the problem... The only problem with that is that the car is an auto so I can't tow it, I don't really want to drive it and have it stall all the time at junctions and round a bouts.. or possible stall on the dual carriage way.. power steering and braking would be a problem.. As the dealer is 30miles away.. the cheapest I can find a lifted toe is for about £200 ! and then if I did get it there... well they charge over £80 and hour !

I was wondering if people thought like me that it had to be the idle control valve as what else could it be...

Any help or info would be thanked !!

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Emma Ward

Is this the Marelli fuel injection set-up? If it is, check that the rubber sealing ring between the plastic tube from the air cleaner and the carburettor substitute (for want of a better description) is still there. They can get slippery with petrol and pop out. If you can find it, dry it and put it back securely, otherwise cut yourelf a thin rubber strip, wind it round a couple of times and clamp the pipe back over that.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

How can I tell which one it is.. thanks

Reply to
Emma Ward

Snip>

I know you can't bump start an Auto, but as far as I know ,as long as its in Neutral (N) rather than park and the hand brake is off then you can tow it. Try it , put it in (N) brakes and hand brake off and give it a push, Make sure when you tow it that the ignition is not locked? I can push my old auto jag back on the drive when its in (N)

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

It's not a question of bump starting it, it's that some auto boxes don't get lubricated properly when the car is being towed. I have no idea if the Peugeot one is like this, but if it is it will say so in the driver's handbook. Which no-one in this group ever seems to have ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Reply to