petrol injector cleaners ?

anyone know if those injector cleaners actually work? i am refering to the liquids that you mix with the fuel on a petrol engine. are they really worth it?

do they help to clean the cylinders as well as the injectors.

Reply to
bongo

Yes, try Forte, that's what the trade have used for years. I have used it also for years with excellent results. I know with the diesel cleaner you can run the engine directly from the bottle, to get a concentrated clean (surplus returns to fuel tank); this is the only cleaner available on the market able to do this (recommended directly by Forte engineers). With all engines they coke up if never run on full throttle ie town driving), find a nice steep hill and with a nicely warmed engine blast up it a few times on full throttle. A garage that I know used to do this for some of it's older customers who claimed poor performance, problem solved after a few miles of hard driving.

Reply to
muffindell

We use it all the time if cars have running problems. Unfortunately it does us out of a repair sometimes though! I would use the Forte products from a petrol station.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

They do, but by far the best method of long-term injector cleansing is to use high quality fuel all the time - such as optimax, V power or their competitors similar products. These are run through the car day in day out and act to clean the valves and combustion chamber roof all the time. Much better than throwing through a single tankful of paint stripper then clogging it again with supermarket fuel.

Coyoteboy

I just used Redex to try and bring down my CO emissions. Didn't work they actually increased!!! Gutted

Matt

Reply to
Mattyb

I was going to give that stuff a try. Will give it a miss after reading your post.

Reply to
Matty

Just run it on a tank of v-power and give it a good hard high-revving thrash before taking it in. If that doesnt cure it it needs more surgery.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

"you can run the engine directly from the bottle": can you/ someone please explain what is meant by that? How can you run the engine from the bottle? I am interested as it may help reduce smoke problems in my

306.

snipped-for-privacy@bt> b>

Reply to
Confused

If you take the feed pipe off the fuel filter outlet (make sure its nice and clean) and stick it in the bottle of Forte diesel cleaner, get someone to start the engine and let it idle. The pump will suck the cleaner up quite quickly so I suggest just before the bottle is empty to stop the engine and reconnect the filter outlet pipe back to the filter, that way you won't have to prime the system. Pour any excess into tank. You could just drain the filter housing of fuel and refil with Forte and start if you wish. For extended cleaning you would need to put both filter outlet pipe and over spill return pipe into the bottle, that way any surplus that the engine doesn't use, and would normally return to the fuel tank, would be returned to the bottle giving a much extended cleaning cycle. If Forte cleaner doesn't do the trick then only an refurb will sort the problem out. That said, I have used Forte diesel cleaner for about 15years now, long before it was available to Joe Public, it's never failed yet to sort a dirty injector/cylinder head out. My mates always comment on how well my cars perform when compared with their own similar engined ones. Mat

Reply to
muffindell

Nail varnish remover is a good injector cleaner. It's mainly acetone.

Reply to
Mark W

Ive been tempted to ultrasonic-bath my injectors in acetone but a) I wasnt sure on the effect on internal parts and b) i wasnt sure whether it would do any good without the injector running.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

What's the word on the Lucas products?

Reply to