Phasing out of LRP and Rover 216SE EFi (1982-89)

Warning noted. Thanks.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Successful results in what vehicle, over what mileage? Why didn't you use LRP?

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Yep, that's right.

Very true, but I reckon it has 2 years left in the bodywork, so cheap motoring at £200.

Yep, the machinist reckons it can be done OK.

Thanks very much everyone that replied. I'm much happier to go ahead now with it now.

Phil

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

The message from Phil contains these words:

I went to the local engine rebuilders in Twickenham (no, not the coyboys by the stadium, but Jenkins in Whitton) and bought a recon head. to remachine the valve seats they have to cut into them - and that means fitting inserts - so a properly done recon head should be UL suited anyway - 'cos no one's going to fit soft seats deliberately.

Reply to
Guy King

Phil (phil snipped-for-privacy@bigNOSPAMfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It was sold new to *somebody*

So why start worrying now?

Reply to
Adrian

Phil (phil snipped-for-privacy@bigNOSPAMfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So 1/8/89 at the very earliest.

UK legislation required that all cars sold after 1st April 1989 be capable of running on unleaded.

Don't forget this was only three years before compulsory cats.

You're worrying unnecessarily. Just run the bloody thing on undeaded.

Reply to
Adrian

Phil (phil snipped-for-privacy@bigNOSPAMfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, gawd, in that case *definitely* don't worry about it.

Reply to
Adrian

Doh... he said un-dead! geddit? Also, see subject line.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil

Good point. I'll make some enquiries, but I suspect that rarity will mean that it has to be mine that gets reconditioned.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

I am gratified for your concern of my well-being, but I assure you I am not the worrying kind. BTW, there is only one of me.

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil

Phil (phil snipped-for-privacy@bigNOSPAMfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes...

If it's an '89 car, then it MUST - by law - have been capable to run on the green filth we currently call petrol when it was sold new. So the head must have had hardened valve seats. So the valves won't recede on 95 unleaded.

It apparently has a knock sensor, so the octane is not a problem. So the thing won't pink on 95 unleaded.

So forget about LRP, run 95 unleaded in it, and get on with life.

You're not planning on it as a long-term keeper, so a little recession is irrelevant - you reckon it's only got two years left in the shell.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Phil contains these words:

You may well find someone has one in stock.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Not necessarily - but generally. There were exceptions and it wasn't right from January '89, IIRC.

Reply to
Guy King

In that case can you explain why in the published conversion information (i.e. list of cars that can/cannot be converted) it said it can't be adjusted, and to continue using leaded petrol?

Yes we established that.

Thank you for the advice, but I don't believe the continuing or ending of my life is of no real concern to yours.

You really should read more carefully. I didn't say I intended to get rid of it, nor said it has only 2 years left; you introduced the word "only". I have no wish to make the head the life limiting factor.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil

If you live anywhere near Colchester then get yourself down to the Auction House on a Thursday evening for the most chaotic car buying scramble you will ever encounter and see what you can get for £200. Something a lot nicer than a Rover 216 I am certain.

Reply to
harry