Galaxy (2.3) rough idle

Been asked to take a look at a colleagues 2.3 but even amongst a few of us, without tools, we were struggling to find the fault. It has really rough idle (still keeps itself running but sounds like 700ish rpm max and then when given a blip of the throttle it revs high and constant for a fixed period, then drops again). Its been in a garage and they couldnt find the fault but didnt sound too clued up to be honest. They did a diagnostic on it and it came up clean which is odd. They went through the whole intake side of engine and couldnt find a leak but having blown gas over the exhaust area the revs raise and smooth out. I couldnt reproduce this but it was witnessed by the owner. One thing i did notice was the fact that there is a loud vacuum leak noise near the timing belt end of the exhaust manifold. Assuming it is the EGR but dont have a diagram for it so cant get my brain around the pipework and what looks like vacuum pumps over the passenger side of the bay.

Any hints welcome while i dont have the diagrams at hand, its nowhere near as simple as the egr on my engine, in fact im fairly sure the EGR system on the ford has more hoses than my entire vacuum system :D

Ta

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

These 2.3's can be problematic, and the two main areas of trouble are always the EGR valve sticking open, and the secondary air injection valve and hoses leaking- this would tie in with your mention of hissing. Whilst air leaks into the exhaust will not directly cause misfires / spluttering, it will cause the O2 sensor to report a go-rich signal to the ECU which will then overfuel, although I would expect to see a "long term fuel trim too rich" or similar fault code.

How does it run if held up above idle speed- say 1200-1500rpm?

These engines have a timing chain, not a belt FYI.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Secondary air injection?!

Its not so much missing as just sounding lumpy and unhappy.

It seems to run just fine above idle - smooth, I think he said he might have noticed a little hesitation but it could be his mind. He is planning a 1000 mile trip in it next week so this came at the wrong time lol!

Excellent info to have, cheers!

Thanks for your help, I'll look further into the air injection etc systems.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy