Plastic washer missing

Are you talking about 'loose' as in the split pin is holding it but it can be moved side to side, or 'loose' as in 'could fall off any moment'?

There's a difference...

Reply to
PC Paul

Is this a 5 minute argument or can we go the full half hour? It could be any number of reasons why a split pin is hard to remove, I have seen several trackrod ends where the threads in the nut were completely trucked and the only thing keeping the nut on was the split pin. Rust is the most likely cause but a nut slightly undoing is also possible, in fact with DIY mechanics anything is possible.

Reply to
Fred

And in the real world I know of several people who have driven a car until the front wheel has fallen off because the wheel nut have come undone..

Reply to
Fred

The OP got me confused with the "top of the nut" bit, I wish I had not bothered to reply now.

Reply to
Fred

Have a look at the article "Horror story" by following this link:

That is this months VOSA news letter , the photo was sent to VOSA by a friend of mine who works at a nearby testing station.

Reply to
Fred

On 2006-11-05, Fred >> pin and if the nut became loose then the split pin stopped it leaving the

Then I wonder why the last person to put the split pin in didn't bother to tighten the nut first.

Reply to
David Taylor

Getting an MOT and it suddenly failing are two completely different things.

Reply to
Conor

And? Did you actually read what had happened? The thread failed. It didn't come undone.

Reply to
Conor

Must be the circle of friends you have.

Reply to
Conor

Or maybe it's because I have been in the motor trade for over 30yrs.

Reply to
Fred

No, not friends. They're called "customers".

Reply to
Marlon