2001 Civic Tie-Rod End Problem

The outside right tie-rod end on my 2001 Civic is 'non-adjustable' according to my local tire center, because the jam-nut is 'frozen' and can't be loosened. It was suggested that I go to Honda dealer and have it replaced and then tires aligned (toe-in/out is off) .

Question:

If I free the tie-rod end at the strut tower, shouldn't I then be able to remove the tie rod end with the jam-nut attached. That is, the tie rod end and jam-nut would seem to rotate the same way to be removed from the threaded end of the inner tie rod.

Reply to
Zorro_2K

I don't think they tried very hard. There are such things as ViceGrips and oxy torches that will almost always loosen rusted nuts. In any case, the rod-end will have to be replaced once the old one is removed so the rod threads can be cleaned if possible. If its that rusted, it may need to be replaced.

The complete tie rod may have to be removed to do this. The inner is a usually a ball joint that's screwed into the end of the rack, and secured with a lock tab and/or split pin.

You could have the dealer do it, but you'll generally pay more for the labour. Find a local shop that specializes in Hondas, and tell them to replace the rod end.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The reason why your tire shop told you this is because they don't have the proper tools to remove it. Almost every time you need to have a acetylene torch to get these loose. I had to do this on my Integra and they had to get heated up to the point that they were glowing red.

Finally after heating and cooling it three times it came loose. These things are a PITA to work on.

I'm not sure if Home Depot sells anything close to the heat you need but you can ask. Sorry I can't help tell you how much a dealer will charge.

Whatever you do make sure to use some anti-seize so you don't have to ever go through this again. I only wish Honda and other car manufactures would use it on this and the axle nuts as we are keeping out cars for over 10 years nowadays.

Good Luck Nick

Reply to
Nick

Try using a flare nut wrench instead of an open end wrench

You could also try a flare nut crowfoot socket
if you wanted the added leverage of using abreaker bar. As others have suggested, heat may be required in order toloosen the nut. You can try using a MAPP gas torch, note though that apropane torch won't get nearly hot enough. Eric

Reply to
Eric

MAPP usually won't do it, the flame needs to be hot enough to turn the metal red. Perhaps the MAPP/O2 combination may work.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks to all for the info.

Another question: Do the jam-nut and tie rod end thread ON to the inner tie rod threaded end using clockwise rotation ?

Reply to
Zorro_2K