Power brake increasing boost

Is that the best reply you can come up with. Anyway, I didn't say what age I was. I'm certainly closer my guess at Alf's age than most on here.

Paul J

Ps I aint gonna search through the text looking for a spelling mistake, but if you are talking about "nowt" then it was deliberate as is aint and gonna.

Reply to
PaulJ

tired, dising, lack of commas, use of extraneous punctuation, aint needs an apostrophe.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ever thought of joining the pedant society. Christ, I aint writing an essay and at least I use punctuation, unlike many these days. Tired was a typo and dissing or dising is up for debate as its not really a word yet is it? Looking back the punctuation doesn't look excessive to me. There is a comma at each pause in the sentence, so I don't get this.

Focussing on my spelling and punctuation does seem to me rather odd though. Presume you and DP just got the hump with me talking about old people (of which I probably am myself) and there always seems to be some "pal" to come along and support DP, who is quite frankly a bit of a pompous twit who thinks he knows a great deal about everything, but makes a fool of himself on many groups he only has a basic grasp of.

Oh I'm bored....

Reply to
PaulJ

I take it you don't see the irony of this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "PaulJ" saying something like:

Going by the pronounciation I think it should be 'dissing', as the other would be 'dyesing'. The double-s makes sure of that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for the explanation, I must definately be over the hill, I always like to come to grips with jokes that I miss but sadly I must admit that I don't get the connection between aircraft movies and auto brake boosters, unless of course one of the characters was named Alf.

Maybe, but so far have been able to relate to the comments/jokes, but Shirley??

Will do, many thanks once again.

Alf.

Reply to
Alf

What absolute nonsense is this? Where was age or a demand for respect mentioned? Naive! because I don't understand, in your terms a poor joke that does not appear to relate to the thread at all.

Perhaps you are unaware that in come places "weird mob" is not intended to be or considered insulting in any way.

I may be nor so young and in your view naive but can usually manage to be courteous.

Alf

Reply to
Alf

Many thanks to you all! Well most of you anyway :-)

alf.

Reply to
Alf

WOT? R u dissing is inglish? Ending a sentence with a preposition is alright. My son's head teacher told me that correct English is not important, I told him he was a fool. The argument started when I raised the question of spelling mistakes on school presentations, I asked why the writer had not used a spell checker. I also asked why no human had checked it through before showing. I afterwards realised that none of them were literate enough to check, or clever enough to use a spell checker, the word that got to me as a final straw was 'councilling' (counselling)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No. Mr J calling me pompous after writing a pompous post.

Oh dear. I'd probably agree with him that 'rules' shouldn't inhibit creative writing from a child, but spelling mistakes in a published document like that should have made him blush with shame.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just enjoyed late journey though this amuzin thread yeah. :-) I think Alf was being vaguely complimentary in his original remark (?) but everyone who replied seemed 2 take it littrally and the hole thing went pair-shaped (oh bloody 'ell). ho ho ho.

On spellin and such I usually ignore as ofen I haven't time (or care 2 b more carefull (just most of us I guess). But just to agree with the comment about "sometimes it matters" (and imho it does), we should be educatded enough to do both. I would agrue that the education system 2 day is, basically, pathetic and fails most pupils - sorry, students!

Before being "clever" and inventive with language it is (I believe) vital to be able to use it conventionally. The modern teaching seems to say - write what you like - that's creative! Is it bollocks. It's lazy and stupid.

OT OT (I posted this before somewhere) a few weeks ago I had a printed invite from a *very* well know university telling me about a public lecture on "The Large *Hardon* Collider". Comments please, in a brown sealed envelope etc...

Reply to
dave