Price to pay

Hi

I know this is maintenance but this NG seems a little more active than others!

Thinking of replacing my "P" reg Golf GL TDi with a 04 version.

Price says £12,995....

what would you suggest the achievable price is?

What would you look out for when discussing price with a salesmen?

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Aj

Reply to
Hankjam

Tuppence Boy!

Reply to
Kirk Johnson

LOL

Aj

Reply to
Hankjam

Okay, you have a disadvantage in that the mark four Golf TDI rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my opinion, but that's another story) is a desirable model, which means people want them... which in turn means that dealers are loathe to even discuss a discount, let alone provide one. You're also trading a ten year old machine and most dealers selling the '04 Golf probably won't want to take this on as a trade in: expect a low trade in figure.

You may find a VW dealer more open to cut a deal given you're sticking within the brand, but beware for the catch of "we don't discount, sir, it's a Golf" because in days of old, they cut you off at the ankles by offering a bottom price for the trade-in Golf.

But, but. Research is useful: have a look at Autotrader for some prices of both respective cars, which will give you an idea about what you should be paying. Also, consider some alternatives (if you want to stick with VAG engineering I'd recommend Seat and Skoda in preference to the Golf).

Reply to
DervMan

Thanks for that Dervman!

Aj

Reply to
Hankjam

I'd look out for the fact that 12,995 is waaaay overpriced. I don't know exactly what model you're looking at, but a quick look on

reveals plenty of Golf TDIs under 7000, all under 2 years old and with less than 60k on the clock. Ok, you might expect to spend a bit more if it's an especially desirable model (like a PD one) with virtually zero miles on the clock, but not *that* much more....

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You mean a crashed one..?

Reply to
DervMan

Errrr can you supply links, I cant find any like that at that price.!

Reply to
prodigyofcabbage

Errr,

??? You'll need to register to be able to properly use the search facilities - select Volkswagen, then Golf, then put "TDI" in one of the options boxes, make sure it's doing a nationwide search, and select cars up to 2 years old, and under 60,000 miles. It's not rocket science, ffs.

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's

No I know it's not. I did do exactly that, and it returned none. I've just done it again and it returned one, with the original parameters.

Reply to
prodigyofcabbage