Primera again

Simon Dean said:-

Only problems now, I have no power. I can cruise fine. Absolutely no problems cruising at say 80, 90 mph even. Light accelerating, is fine, you know, gradually increasing the throttle, but anymore than half whack, and the whole car is lumbering around like a whale.

Suggestion is : Try checking any in-line fuel filters which tend to collapse to cause these symptoms.

Reply to
Lofty.

It's either fuel starvation as you say, or it could be a very weak spark that's only just about capable of jumping the plug gap getting snuffed out by higher combustion chamber pressures. Ignition coil or leads/plugs/cap perhaps. Cut the spark plug gaps down to half normal and if it improves then sparks are the problem My guess is the fuel filter or a clogged fuel line though.

Reply to
SteveB

Never thought of that one. I did get a new Halfords one fitted about 4 years back. But IMHO, changing it, doesn't make much of a difference.

What about that novel Carbon Cannister gizmo that these things have?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Im thinking it could be something to do with the ignition. But, I do warn you though, the engine is very murky and mucky, black sludge and tarnish, sounds like it's going to fall apart under acceleration, no power, but can cruise and accelerate lightly. Upto 40 mph, fine. Anything over that with power, and it's really struggling.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Halfrauds petrol filters are real duds, they're the only service item they sell I won't touch after replacing a several years old Nissan petrol filter with a new Halfords one and immediately getting surging problems trickling along in slow traffic. Blowing through the filters quickly shows how restrictive the Halfrauds ones are.

Reply to
SteveB

He doesn't believe us Steve!

Reply to
Lofty.

Well, you see, that makes the key differencel. No wonder I didn't notice an improvement, having replaced it with a Halfords one. So get a Nissan one, and fingers crossed.

okily dokily do.

Reply to
Simon Dean

Report back please, But only if we're right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha!

Reply to
Lofty.

Ok. Will do.

By the way, just in case... I was driving around birmingham last night, and I was feeling really chuffed, because I had amassed 60 miles, and still, the petrol guage had only gone down half in the first quandrant, or in more mathematical terms, 1/8.

This I suspected was a bit of a false reading, but I didn't think it was that false.

Starting the car today, the petrol appeared to jump down to the 3/4 mark, appearing to have used 1/8th of the fuel over night. A further 10 miles later (70 in total), and Im down to just below 3/4 amount of fuel.

Something odd is going on here. It's like the pixes are coming in and drinking the fuel...

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

*snip*

To check your mileage fill the tank, set the speedo trip to zero and use the car for a period, refill the tank. The amount required to fill the tank is the fuel you have used to cover the number of miles on the trip. But then I expect you knew that! Regards, Lofty

Reply to
Lofty.

Yes I did... just commenting though, the fuel guage was never that jumpy, I always knew I could get 140 miles driving around town by the time the needle was at the middle. Now Im lucky to get 110, and it's kind of proven at the petrol pump, 50 litres, 220 miles... I havent checked since I changed the thermostat, so I hope, Im jumping the gun. But at the moment, Im not holding out any hope.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

That sounds a bit heavy, not got a leak anywhere, I suppose. I get 320 from 45.litres (which is roughly 10 gallons) from BX19GTI.

Reply to
Lofty.