Primera - y'know I used to think I knew about cars..

Nissan Primera 1997 1.6i (multipoint FI)

It has a bit of an engine issue if anyone could help, symptoms being..

From cold it won't rev over 3k (almost like hitting a limiter).

When warm it won't rev over 5k and feels perhaps 15-20% down on power. Under load (i.e. up a hill) the power suddenly drops off. Fine again downhill.

When I bought it I changed the oil + filter, fuel filter, plugs and ht leads. There's no error codes showing on the ECU self-test.

any clues ?? many thanks

Reply to
tarmacsurfer

blocked cat is possible, get an exhaust pressure check done (pre cat)

Reply to
mrcheerful

& check the cam timing
Reply to
Duncan Wood

How can anyone answer that? Perhaps yer putting diesel in instead of petrol? You havent said... Young whipper snappers... :-p

Tish posh...

I was gonna suggest if yer near Birmingham and don't mind potentially destroying yer ECU, you could pop round and I could plug the laptop (with Blazt) into the consult port... but alas, i'm not sure whether it'll work on your car? What's your engine? I've seen references to this thing working on a GA16DE engined Almera - whether it'll be suitable for a Primera 1.6 is anybodies guess...

Reply to
Simon Dean

Cheers guys. I haven't heard of an exhaust pressure check - do most garages do this ?

It's a cam chain (not belt) so in theory nobody should've been in there messing with the timing.

Sorry if it's all a bit vague but if I take it to a garage then I'm they'll spend the first 3 hours (@60quid an hour) umming & arring over it.

Am I near Birmingham ? yep, work in Lichfield. Do I fancy destroying the ecu ? umm...not tempting !

Sim> tarmacsurfer wrote:

Reply to
tarmacsurfer

Here's someone with similar problems:

They've had suggested, MAF Sensor, O2 Sensor, Fuel Pressure etc...

You should be able to check how your O2 sensor is switching, and indeed whether you have any fault codes stored in the ECU - Got a Haynes manual? It involves bridging two points on the consult port with a piece of wire.

Other people on the forum suggest that for whatever reason, the ECU has gone into limp home mode and try resetting the ECU!

Of course, there's always the Nissan garage - getting them to plug into Consult and getting any information... course, that's a lot of money, and you can at times be relying upon an untrained monkey to work out what the values mean. I do remember Westway Nissan in Coventry being pretty good (but the branch at Stourbridge were a bit crappy).

Then of course there's also putting your trust in me or someone else with a copy of Blazt and a laptop who should also be able to read all your sensors for free through the consult port. Of course, it's not been tested with your car, and I wouldn't like to take the risk. My own car? Sure, why not...

Cya Simon

tarmacsurfer wrote:

Reply to
Simon Dean

What plugs? Some non NGK brands last no time at all in Primeras.

Reply to
SteveB