Rear window & electric mirror heating switch (1996 Audi A6)?

Can anyone offer an explanation why a combined rear window and electric mirror heating switch has some complicated-looking electronics in it whereas a simple rear window heating switch (as on the earlier Audi 80) is a purely mechanical switch?

Reply to
Art

The A6 probably has a timer built into the switch.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, you mean it'll switch off automatically after a certain time to avoid overloading the circuit?

Reply to
Art

& flatting the battery etc.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

More to lengthen the life of the heater elements and avoid excessive battery drain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK. I was going to replace the A6 one with an older Audi 80 switch (the pin-out is identical) but this doesn't sound like a good idea now.

Reply to
Art

Be ok if you remember to turn it off.

I'm surprised the timer is built into the switch. They usually have a relay which makes them quite large.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A resistive heater is a nice easy load to drive, and MOSFETs have gotten really low-resistance recently.

And once you start adding in the mass budget cost of the whole car, wiring to an external relay, ... the integrated solution may be easier.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If it was just me, I would. But the missus tends not to switch it off after use.

It measures 70mm x 20mm x 40mm compared to the mechanical one which is

15mm shorter.
Reply to
Art