Print out online insurance cert ok for road tax?

Which insurance companies allow you to print out the certificate at home? I know there are some that do this. And is this home print out ok to get the road tax at the post office?

Reply to
Bob

I use Swiftcover, cheaper than anyone else (for me) by a large margin. All done on the internet, print your own certificate etc. I like it..

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

It's pointless, isn't it? Not exactly a hard document to fake, it's almost pointless requiring one for road tax. It's about time the post office started checking the DVLA database.

Reply to
David R

The message from Bob contains these words:

Why not get your tax online?

Reply to
Guy King

Dunno but virtually any one will fax it to you if you need it in a hurry.

In my experience yes, I've taxed cars with a printed-off cover note at least twice. And I know someone who got tax with a faxed copy of their certificate.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Why don't you do it online though ?

Reply to
mr p

That's not unusual, especially if it's the trade taxing a car for a customer. I'm pretty sure they shouldn't do it though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Takes enough days to get the tax disc that you'd almost be as well waiting on the insurance ceritificate coming in the post.

Reply to
David R

The message from "David R" contains these words:

Mine arrived in three days.

Reply to
Guy King

David R (david snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, yes, the post will take a couple of days whether it's a tax disc or an insurance certificate...

BUT - if you're waiting to use the car, at least the delay whilst the tax disc is in the post will be a delay when ANPR cameras don't flag up that your car's being used naughtily. Yes, you can still be nicked for failing to display a tax disc, but at least you ARE taxed.

Reply to
Adrian

Because you have to have a computerised MOT

*and*

it takes 5 days to arrive during which you can't drive the car (assuming it's a new-to-you currently untaxed car)

*and*

they charge £2.50 for credit cards

*and*

The insurance has to have made it to the database, which takes a day or two

*and*

I'm sure there's more reasons too, but that was enough to put me off.

Reply to
PC Paul

You're only going to nicked for that if you really enjoy pissing off the fuzz

Don't use a credit card?

More boring, I'll give you, but again, you've got to try to get done for not having road tax on a new car.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@bitrot.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which have been issued from _all_ test stations for the last six months - and from the vast majority for _well_ over a year.

I get my MOTs done at a small rural garage - they've been doing computerised tickets for about 18mo.

No longer than the insurance certificate will take to get to you. And in the meantime - at least it IS taxed, though.

But they don't charge for debit cards.

Reply to
Adrian

Really...?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Really.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Paul Cummins ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Vosa think so.

Adrian

As you cannot pay for your car tax by credit card at the Post Office anyway it makes no point complaining about it. You can still pay by debit card without any charge, and it's the same price as via a Post Office if you do it that way.

"If you apply for a Motor Vehicle Licence at a Post Office? branch or by post, you can pay by:

  • Cash* * Cheque payable to Post Office Ltd * Post Office? saving stamps* * Debit cards * Postal Order * Sterling Travellers Cheques"
David Hearn

Most important reason - if POs stop issuing MVLs, then they will close.

Reply to
News

News ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You think selling tax disks is enough to keep 'em open?

Adrian

Nope. I got spotted driving to a prebooked MOT with an out of date disc by a patrol sat at the side of the road. I was doing absolutley nothing wrong, just in a line of traffic at 5-10mph below the limit.

They said they saw it by the colour of the disk - it wasn't a currently valid colour. And it had a big '00' on it when it was '01' by then.

Reply to
PC Paul