Blackcircles 'Vaue Choice' tyres...

Just looking at cheapish tyres on Black Circles. The basic budget tyres are about £40 in the size I want, but they also have a 'Value choice' for £32...

Any experience of these? is it old stock, unknown makes, or just as good as any other budget tyre?

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@bitrot.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd suggest the last. Avoid just as you would any budget tyre.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah well, I would but this is going on to replace a decent tyre that's been shagged in 8,000 miles of sedate driving while I find out if the soon to be applied fix has fixed it.

Since it won't be doing long or fast journeys I'll put up with budget for now.

Reply to
PC Paul

I've had mixed experiences, black-circles value ones, on inspection, were actually (coincidentally at the time?) a dunlop random range - I think the fact they don't garauntee the brand is perhaps why they're cheap, it's whatever they have at the time. Nothing wrong with inspecting them anyway. As with most car-things, medium-range priced items are a good bet usually.

Tyres are one of the vital items that makes a car drive in a certain manner, so spending a wee bit extra can be a wise choice.

So, value's £32, basic budget, £40, maybe try for £48-55 as a good rough guide, but all depends on the brand.

Reply to
David R

You might also consider Colway remoulds. My brother uses them on his old BMW which has metric tyres so a rather restricted choice new - and expensive. He's very pleased with them and is onto his second set. Because it costs to dispose of tyres, Colway can afford to be extremely selective of the carcasses they remould.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a BMW 735 1989 that had metric tyres and being unable to justify

220£ a tyre (Michellin or Avon) then I had some Colway remoulds. There was only 1 good thing about them......they were cheap - about 75£ each. BUT, the car handled completely differently with the Colways. It's difficult to describe eactly how but it was as if the sidewalls weren't as firm as the Avon Turbospeeds that I'd taken off and although I never lost grip the ride was a lot more wallowy and used to sway very slightly from side to side when on the twisty bits. I live in West Wales and of course there was los of the twisty stuff.
Reply to
Matthew Millichap

Well, he uses the BMW for towing, and I'd guess anything like that would be very noticeable - the tail wagging the dog sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I got a couple of Colways on the stuck on the front of my motor. At first they were excellent. A few K later they don't seem quite so sharp, but considering the cost I would still rate them.

Reply to
MikeL

I'd agree - with all that extra weight on the back! BUT there was MOST definitely at difference when I changed and I can't think of a better way to describe it! Maybe there was something not quite right with my set - I never had another set as I needed 2tyres for an MOT, a windscreen (3rd P T+F ins. only) and if you were stuck in traffic for awhile it'd get serious 'warm' and it wasnt worth spending money on all that...so I sold it to a muppet! for £300 less than I'd paid for it 18months previously!

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

I fitted a pair once to my SD1. Hated them. The car didn't handle as well, but thankfully they also wore out much quicker than the Eagles they replaced. Chucked them when there was still about 4mm of tread left. AFAIA one problem with Colway and similar remoulds, is that when buying more than one tyre, the carcasses could be from different makes. Meaning the characteristics of the tyre are not necessarily the same. Mike. .

Reply to
Mike G

Aren't Colway's matched these days?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

They should be, yes.

You do have to be farily careful when choosing from the Colway range as most are biased towards competition use.

Reply to
SteveH

I believe that's not the case now. Think they only remould one brand of carcass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll take your word for that, but I still don't think I'll be buying them again. At times I demand a lot from my tyres. I feel happier on premium tyres. IMO good tyres can make the difference between a car that is enjoyable to drive, and one that gives little confidence when driving, shall we say, briskly. They may cost more than twice as much as a budget tyre, but AFAIC it's money well spent for better grip and handling. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Oh I agree with you. I was only suggesting them as an alternative (and possibly better one) than budget tyres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)