Problems starting - 95 Escort 1.6 16v

Your help with the following is appreciated.

Problems starting - 95 Escort 1.6 16v

Car: 1995 Escort 1.6 16v (Mk5) 84k miles recent interim service (with correct Ford oil etc)

Symptoms: First start in morning often takes two goes, first attempt starter motor just spins. Second (or occasionally third) attempt the starter turns the engine and its away as normal. Car will then start as normal (first time) for the rest of the day. Leave it overnight or for a couple of days and then again the problem occurs.

Googling reveals that starter motor just spinning is a failure mode of the starter motor, but it will 'engage' if tried again. What are the chances that its the battery (5+ years old and car used for mainly short journeys recently) and its very cold lately here in Kent. Or am I just clutching at straws in the vain hope that it is something reasonably cheap that I can change myself, instead of something that's going to cost more than I'm prepared pay out just after christmas?

Thanks for your help.

Jez

PS I know the car is not everyone's cup of tea so I'm prepared for a bit of abuse - its all I can afford to get get me and my family around legally and (sometimes) reliably. Might be the time to get rid and go back to somthing like the 85 Corolla I had before, unfortunately that rusted away, 12v 1.3 engine was sweet as a nut though.

Reply to
jezclear

Non at all. It's the starter.

Reply to
Conor

wrote

What are the

I've got some bad news for you. It's probably both :-)

You could try jump-starting from another car and see if this makes any difference (in which case its the battery).

But it sounds like the starter motor to me. This won't be expensive though, and if you have even moderate spannering ability you can do it yourself. Where abouts in Kent are you?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

You could just leave it and see if it gets better or worse with time.

My '83 Subaru starter did this on and off for many years, and eventually cured itself.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

OK opinion seems to be it is the starter motor. Not sure I can even see the starter motor from above, no access to ramps to get underneath. Can they be done from the top? I have a Haynes BoL but its a bit vague on this - par for the course I guess.

Vince (Knight of the road) I'm in Sittingbourne. I'm sure there's a scrappy over towards Iwade somewhere, could do with a couple of trim bits as well. How to spot a good starter? or avoid a bad one?

A quick search on Yell gives me one local auto electrician - worth a go?

Thanks for all your help you guys,

Jez

Reply to
jezclear

wrote

Heh, our yard is in Teynham but I actually live near Margate so I'm not too sure of SB based stuff.

It's years since I have needed to get stuff from the breakers but you are really taking pot luck- although any decent scrappy will give you a "bring it back if it don't work" guarantee.

If you don't mind a drive to Ramsgate there is a place called "Ford-it Spares" on Hereson Road which is a combined breakers/garage and they will supply and fit a used part for you- I have never used them myself but have not heard anything bad about them.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Just to finish this off - local auto electric chap sorted it out very quickly. New pinion and clutch assembly fitted to starter motor and jobs a good'un. Can recommend this guy to people in the Sittingbourne area (Mail me for details - I do check this account occasionally). Maybe not the cheapest but its good to see people actually repairing things these days instead of throwing them in a skip (no references to my Escort please!)

Thanks again guys,

Jez

Reply to
jezclear