'97 Escort didn't start $%£&^!

My '97 Escort 1.6 didn't start this morning!!!!

Jumped in it, turned the key to only hear the starter motor whizzing away, no attempt was made by the engine to start. Drove it the night before, no trouble.

It had its 40K service in the summer, where spark plugs were changed.

Any ideas?? I suppose it could be a whole host of things. I'm sort of hoping it will magically start when I get back form work.

Matt

Reply to
Matt North

It sounds like the starter motor isn't engaging. You could change all the twiddly bits on the engine and it still wouldn't start!

I can't remember whether that Escort has a pre-engaged one or a solenoid engaged one. Try firmly tapping the starter casing (ok, walloping it) with a hammer or similar wallopy thing (technical expression). Depending on where the precise problem is, popping the car in top gear and rocking it forward may rotate the flywheel and get it to engage.

The fault may well reoccur, in which case the motor needs replacing (£120 for a new one - ouch) or, more economically, phone an auto electrician, who should be able to sort it for about 1/4 that.

Mike

Reply to
MSC

check your battery voltage............