Proposed London low emission zone.

On 09/06/2018 10:33, Robin wrote:

I wonder if they will be looking at gas boilers next. Will they be fitted with catalytic converters to reduce NOx emissions too?
On 09/06/2018 12:23, Fredxx wrote:

I thought they were going to banned after 2040 anyway ?.
I suspect it is easier to fine-tune a carbon burner that is not being asked to accelerate all the time (when emissions go up 10 times or more), and they aren't blowing emissions out at ground level.

Mine has what is effectively a lambda sensor in the flue, so self tunes.
--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

All petrol cars with an ECU and a catalytic converter will have a sensor near the cat, but an engine under load will consume more fuel than one that is idling or at a constant speed.
My Astra has an instant fuel consumption display, and when accelerating away from rest the consumption can easily drop to less than 10 mpg. This must result in a corresponding increase in pollution.
At a steady speed between 40 and 60 mph it will show between 40 and 45 mpg, and over 100 mpg on overrun. When going downhill it will show 999 mpg, so almost nothing being produced.
Central heating boilers by their nature are designed for long(-ish) efficient burns. Even a modulating boiler will (hopefully) only gradually ramp up power.
Only committed diesel-heads will constantly try and deflect blame onto ships in the middle of the pacific, or gas boilers for high NO2 pollution in many town centres, but its a numbers issue. There are now well over 10 million cars with diesel engines and the road tax bribe has to be main culprit. How many of these cars only do a few thousand miles a year, to the supermarket, garden centre or vets, clogging up their DPF in the process ?.

But this low emission zone isn't about CO2. It is that which made diesels so popular with some badly advised civil servants, a couple of years ago. It's about poisonous emissions, NOX, CO etc.
If CO2 were the main issue it would be based on engine size - not age.
--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Like the Congestion Charge, I'm still convinced that the Low Emission Charge is all about extracting £££££££££££ from the unfortunates who need to use their vehicles to enter London.
--
Ian

Enter London? How about those who live there?
Quite sure raising money is the major part, though.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

On 10/06/2018 12:23, Andrew wrote:

Unfortunately fine tuning a burner might not help, when the best burner has the hottest flame temperature and so forms the highest levels of NOx.

Yes it's very odd just to slap an age limit on cars. My car is Saab 9000 1995. Saab was ahead of the game then with low emission, I got the emmision reports at MOT:
CO 0.016 %, Limit 0.2% HC 10ppm, Limit 200ppm
Not that I'm holier than thou, I know that cars are a problem. But I think that these rules are just expedient because they can't find the data for older cars. CC charge doesn't bother me so much because I never drive to London in Business hours. But this is different.

Quite. I was remembering the figures from my prvious 98 BMW and wondered just how much better a modern petrol engine was supposed to be? By then it had variable valve timing, fully sequential injection, COP and lambda sensors both in and out of the cats. So was curious to know just what the big improvements in design are that have been made since?
Rather different with diesels which have still so much further to go.

The CC doesn't bother me either. Since parking is such a problem, I'd use PT anyway to visit that during working hours - even without a charge.
The N/S circular road area is very different. I use a short part of that when going to the shops. ;-)
It doesn't really apply to me though. My old car hasn't even got a cat, so fairy nuff. And my other one too new to be effected.
--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

johannes wrote:

Our 97 Fiesta (1.25) record is
Year CO% HCppm Lambda 2000 0 10 1.19 (rear box exhaust leak fail) 2001 .01 4 1.01 2002 .01 13 1.00 2003 .01 6 1.00 2004 .01 8 1.02 2005 0 16 1.01 2006 0 14 1.01 2007 .01 15 1.01 2008 0 15 1.00 2009 0 5 1.03 (rear box exhaust leak advisory) 2010 0 5 1.01 2011 0 7 1.01 2012 0 4 1.00 2013 0 9 1.00 2014 0 8 1.00 2015 0 7 1.00 2016 0 6 1.00 2017 0 4 1.00
First time fail was 'cos the original owner (car hire Guernsey) had drilled a drain hole in the exhaust (2009 was a loose pipe clamp) - so it is possible for an older vehicle to be clean - though particulates and NOx are an unknown.
No intention of driving in London though :-)
Chris K
On 09/06/2018 16:44, ChrisK wrote:

My latest Mot for an 08 1.6 Petrol engine was CO 0.023 and HC 45
(short drive before, engine oil temperature measurement bypassed)