pug 206 diesel

My works van is beginning to struggle up one motorway hill, where previously it would manage 65 it now barely does an indicated 55 and changing from 5th to 4th makes little difference. It has 230k under its belt, responds to the throttle in low gears and speeds but lacks oomph. It also has a fairly flat response where in the past the turbo boost was apparent between

2500-3000rpm. It starts immediately. no black smoke when accelerating, no brake binding, no ecu light and still does over 65mpg.

I'm just wondering what might be causing underfueling and can only think of blocked fuel filters or a faulty air mass flow meter are there other possibilities or checks?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

After 230k miles it would be a surprise if it didn't lack oomph.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I did a typo, I meant 203k, the thing is in all other respects it doesn't seem bad, doesn't burn oil and this problem has come on gradually over the last few months (5k miles).

AJH

Reply to
andrew

perhaps the turbo pipe is split. Air filter blocked? when was it last serviced? at that age it should have had a set of injectors at some stage, perhaps they are dying?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'd expect both of these to result in black smoke on hard acceleration

About 5k miles ago but our fitter wouldn't have done anything on the engine other than change filters and oil, he has no diagnostic facilities

Possibly but again I'd expect old injectors to dribble too much fuel, which again would result in smoke rather than low power.

The thing is if solving the problem isn't simple the van's not worth spending money on fancy diagnostics and my previous experience has been if there's no engine check light there'll be no relevant code and the garage will just take my 40quid and I'll be no further to a solution.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

loss of boost does not necessarily result in overfuelling or mil on. (seen recently on a rover diesel that was very down on power, but did not smoke, a new turbo pipe fixed that) Coked up injectors can give reduced fuel output. Do you use decent fuel? have you tried a fuel system cleaner?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My Berlingo did somehing similar. The mechanic "turned/twisted" the fuel pump by a few degrees and it was fine.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have sometimes had to advance pumps a little, but usually only after cam belt change.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just as a followup, I did nothing to the van but parked it up Friday evening. This morning it seemed more spritely and coming home this evening it easily managed an indicated 75. Leaving the motorway and accelerating hard from 10mph in 2nd it left an obvious black cloud in the rear view. I cannot fathom it but plainly it was under fueling.

AJH

Reply to
andrew