Pug 306 TD intermittant starting problem

"New shape" Pug 306 Dturbo with XUD9TE engine, no keypad type immobilser (uses a transponder in the key).

  1. Open drivers door with key
  2. Insert ignition key, wait for glowplug lamp to extinguish then crank the engine.
  3. All lights then go dim, and you hear a relay "chattering".
  4. Get out of car, lock and then unlock drivers door with the key
  5. Insert ignition key, wait for glowplug lamp to extinguish then crank the engine.
  6. Engine starts as normal (first time).

I've had this problem occur a couple of times in the last two weeks. I am 99% certain that the "chattering" noise, is caused by the battery voltage dropping under a heavy load, thus causing the relay to drop out. The relay dropping out then removes the overload, voltage increases, relay energises again and the cycle repeats.

This isn't the case of a duff battery - any battery which can take two lots of glowplug activations, an overload and still start the engine within the space of

5 minutes isn't knackered.

As far as I know the immobiliser works by interrupting the current to the fuel solenoid on the diesel pump - and shouldn't affect the ability to crank the engine.

I also fail to see any direct link between the central locking and the immobiliser.

This has happened twice in the last two weeks. Does anyone have any ideas?

/John

Reply to
John Kenyon

Start by checking the battery leads at the battery and at the starter and chassis for positive and negative respectively. A dodgy contact here is most likely.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l