HDI Starting Problem

I am having a problem, with my 406 hdi (90) V reg. First start of the day its ok but after that it become more difficult the hotter the engine gets. The glow plugs light on the dash comes on the on initial start of the day but after that it appears not to come on even when cold and the starting become more difficult, until I think it will never start and pump the throttle at the same time as turning the engine over and it will catch. It has been into my local dealers, who reported the exhaust recirculating valve and the ECU are gone. I have changed the recirculating valve and sent off the ECU to be Reconditioned, it came back with a report that No faults were found, put it back on the car and its still the same. Peugeot want £611 for a new ECU plus the best part of £200 to programme it with my immobiliser code and fit. What do I do, was thinking of having ECU checked by a second company and see what they come up with, but what if they say its OK what then? Any Help will be appreciated. Thanks Simon

Reply to
Simon

I was under the impression that DI engines did't need, and therefore didn't have glow plugs - I've certainly never noticed a glow plug light on the dash of my DDI for the last four years - could it be a different lamp that you see - possibly coolant level?

Reply to
Peter

Mmmmmmmmmm..... Mines got one, it's a 92 Hdi (90) Lights up for about a second on first cold start. Which HDi model you got without a glow light?

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov

Oh Ok, it's a 2002 model. It's just my remaining brain cell stuck in the nineties.

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov

Thats the best excuse I heard since the ninties ;-)

Reply to
Marc

I drive a VW Caddy at work, with a 1.9 litre TDI engine (90hp). It definately has glow plugs. The light won't light up much if outside temperature is above 0C, but when it's -10C it lights up for several seconds and starting is very rough if I don't what to the light goes out.

Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

2000 110
Reply to
Peter

Only difference is the 110Hp motor then, maybe they don't have em. I have seen a couple of 90s, one from around 1999, and they do.. Although the manual is famous for having the whole lot labeled wrongly ;-)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Maninov

Hello,

They should have glow plugs, but they are useful on cold weather & cold start (i.e these 2conditions at the same time). I don't have the time to see the glow plugs indicator on my parent's 206, but that's true I'm not that used to information / warning light with that car :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Most DIs don't need glowplugs until it's proper-cold... but it varies according to the engine and even that install.

Long gone are the days when you'd get in to a new car, turn to position two, put your seat belt on, then wait a moment for the glowplug warning lamp to go out.... :)

Even now I still occasionally put our (petrol, non-Peugeot) car's ignition to position two, put my seatbelt on, and then start. It doesn't help that the amber ABS lamp lights up just like many glowplug warning lamps did....

Reply to
DervMan

Not so. I drive a 2002 model Volkswagen with a 90hk TDI engine. Even if it's only -5C (23F) I have to let the glow plugs work at least 3-4 seconds before I can start it easily.

Reply to
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

Three or four seconds? Shoot, some of the cars I've driven took that long when warm...

It takes me a few seconds to put my seatbelt on too (maybe four I suppose).

Reply to
DervMan