Pug Trouble

Hi guys, I have a 2000 W reg 1.8 406. Recently it has started acting up. The problem is that during accelerating ( anything accept the mildest increase ) the car stutters and loses power for a split second before all being well. Lately it has gotten worse in that instead of a stutter or two it now refuses to accelerate smoothly until it reaches around 3.5K revs.

If I put the car into 5th at around 1.5-2k then floor it the whole car shudders and barely increases speed at all. The car is perfectly useable if driven very mildly, but on a 1.8 406 estate this is truly dire.

I have some basic maintenance experience, but was looking for some advice before playing the "lets service the thing and change *stuff* to see if it helps game"

Thanks guys

Reply to
rda

assuming it is petrol, change the plugs

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It is indeed a petrol.

Thanks for the advice, Ill get a set of plugs tomorrow.

Reply to
rda

Whilst your changing the plugs and ensuring they are gapped correctly, look closely at the HT leads for signs of tracking - hairline grey lines in the insulation.

Also check the coil pack surface for the same- and if the surface is dirty or sticky use some degreaser / carb cleaner to get it nice and clean.

You have an HT problem which is causing the misfire- but judging from your remarks of violent misfiring it sounds like the ECU is being spiked from stray HT and is shutting down momentarily everytime it gets spiked. The most likely cause of this is a dirty or faulty coil pack.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Plugs changed and car running fine again, thanks guys !

Reply to
rda