punto prob.

I have a 01 Punto, recently there's been a huming noise coming from the car when starting off. It only happens when I'm starting off in first gear. It use to happen when I tried starting off while turning the car, now it seems to happen every time I move the car form stationary. I was thinking a clutch problem, but yet the clutch seems fine... Any ideas..

the humming noise is kinda like the noise from the hover bikes in that classic epsiode of the simpsons... (well hopefully you'll know a bit of what I mean )

Many thanks

Reply to
Chris

If the noise happens when you press the clutch pedal(not moving but engine running ) then the clutch thrust race is noisy, these can sound like a whirr or even a moo ! If the noise is with the clutch up, the car moving, in first gear only, then it is probably a gear box noise.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi thanks for the reply.... The noise kinda happens when I begin to move off, so the clutch isn't fully up, but it isn't pushed all the way in either... Not sure, I think I'll take it to the dealers, but kinda afraid as they'll prob charge for new upholstery stating thats the cause of the problem...

Reply to
Chris

My guess is that the clutch release bearing is noisy, my own runabout car has a noisy bearing, it is getting worse but has lasted 6 months from the first time I noticed it.

On your vehicle it will be necessary to remove the gearbox to replace the bearing, it would be normal practice to replace the clutch at the same time, even if it is working ok at present, but obviously get a professional to confirm the diagnosis.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful