Q about VW BFC procedure and other things

Last week I put my 2008 VW 1.4 Polo in for a major service at a VW dealers, including an aircon service and BFC. It was the car's first service in two years due to fairly low usage.

Going out in it the next day I'd have to say the aircon seemed a bit feeble, taking a couple of miles to get some effectively cool air from the system - I like a cool interior.

However, on looking under the bonnet yesterday, I was struck by the amount of dust on the brake fluid reservoir, and wiping a finger over the top brought out the bright yellow colour of the plastic. It looks as if it's never been unscrewed. I can't tell from the bleed nipple covers whether they've been off or not.

The bill describes the BFC as 'using VW approved Pressurised System'.

My questions are: does the 'approved system' involve removing the reservoir cap (rather than e.g doing it through the bleed nipples only), does it seem like the BFC has been done at all, and what was likely to have made a difference to the aircon?

I intend ringing the garage tomorrow, but in the way of these things expect every assistance short of actual help; however, I'd like to get my ducks lined up before making the call, and would be grateful for the group's observations and comments.

PS: I used to do my own servicing over the past 50 years, but creaky joints and other medical conditions now mitigate aginst this approach, as much as I dislike trusting others.

TIA

Reply to
Terry Fields
[...]

IME, the covers are never put back, so if they are in place, I'd be suspicious.

Most systems are bled using pressure to the reservoir nowadays; it's the approved way if ABS is fitted. I would be doubtful if there was any way of doing it without removing the cap.

A/C possibly not done to the correct pressure; take it back!

Your chances of getting anywhere are minimal unless you have cast iron proof.

I'm in much the same boat. For anything I can no longer do, I use a local mobile guy. That way, you can talk directly to the man with the spanners, and watch the work being done.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan