Quick car

Hia peeps, I currently own a 1.6 8 valve astra estate, (1999) which isn't the quickest car to put it mildly. As I am entering my middle chrisis I want something a bit quick, but don't want to spent a lot.

I have been told that the skoda fabia 1.9 VRS would be good, but I also like the astras and maybe consider the newer 1800 16v. No I cant afford a 2 litre Astra Turbo! the insurance and running costs would be too high! The fabia does about 5mpg as well.

Apart from the performance, I wondered what the fabia is like to drive, handling etc. Anyone got one? Any advice appreciated

Cheers, good site this!

Rodders

Reply to
Pat Crouch

Jag S type 3 litre and stop chaving around with that crap.

Reply to
Graham

Graham ("Graham" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you _must_ have an S-type, why have the six-pot, not the v8?

Reply to
Adrian

Pat Crouch ("Pat Crouch" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Woah, steady on... You don't want to get all _exciting_ or anything like that...

FFS, if you're going to have a mid-life crisis, do it PROPERLY, man. Fuck the running costs and insurance. Get something truly stoopid, like an Elise or a bike.

1.8 Astra, ffs...
Reply to
Adrian

The Skoda vrs is quite hard to catch below a hundred or so, it seems to run out of steam after that. (I was in a Lexus) 130 (indicated) and I went past him, but I was impressed.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Adrian, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

S type 3.0 ain't even that quick.

S type R... now that's more like it.

Reply to
Pete M

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Adrian, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Or a Turbocharged V8 Range Rover

Joins the mob, armed with a burning torch and a pitchfork....

Reply to
Pete M

1.8 Turbo MK2 Golf Mi16 205 BMW E30 with a turbo or supercharger. Volvo 340 with a Renault 19 twin cam in if you're feeling particularly pervy. Nissan 200SX or Pulsar if you want something vaguely normal.
Reply to
Doki

IIRC 110 or 130 horses in a fairly light shell. Not fast though. Quick, yes, not fast.

Reply to
Doki

I find that only turbo cars fell really quick, because you don't have to scream the engine into red line to get anything out of it. It just moves when you ask it to.

Reply to
johannes

You've got to be kidding. Only cars with oodles of low down torque feel quick, because they go when you tell them to.

As opposed to foot down-wait-wait-whistle-whoosh! by which time the gap has gone.

Reply to
PCPaul

But turbo lag is no longer as bad as it once was. Control systems are much better. It all depends on what you want. Blasting off in low gear puts tremendous strain on the drivetrain; I tend to hold back until I'm at least in 3'rd before I let loose.

Reply to
johannes

Vauxhall monaro, Nissan skyline.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Wow, dont know much about such really fast cars! Begining to wish I'd never asked! Only joking, if I had the money I would have a Lambo (LOL) But seriously, anyone owned, or driven a Fabia VRS???

Reply to
Pat Crouch

2.4 Fiat Croma - Seriously!!!
Reply to
Matt

& learn to drive :-)
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Lancia thema 8.32. Eats it for brEakfaST :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're not bad. Handling is a bit rolly polly, but they're not shit. A bit numb. LEAGUES above your current Astra chariot. 130bhp and a shedload of torque. Interiors are a bit 'average' and white - so easily minged up. The last one I drove had a switchable remap - cost about £400 and provided either stock 130bhp, or plug in the doo-dad and 175bhp and a huge wedge more torque. Then it was actually very entertaining. A bit of a handful in the wet mind you... Personally, I'd get one, remap it (none of that switchable junk, just a straight Jabba or BAS remap for my 175bhp all the time), and uprate the suspension and brakes - I felt they weren't *really* up to

175bhp - it wasn't dangerous by any means, but I felt unable to use quite all the power all the time I wanted to.

In summary, quite pokey, nicely economical, can be fun and pretty solid. Get a Clio V6.

Reply to
Iridium

I'm just not interested in 'jumping into gaps'. I rather keep the mechanics in good order. We are talking about a 15 year old Saab turbo here. The turbo is fine for quick overtaking or joining motorways from slip roads.

Reply to
johannes

johannes (johannes ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I find my '90 900T16 has very little lag in practice - all you need to do is anticipate the opportunity to wind that boost needle up a little.

Reply to
Adrian