Timing lights, ebay

Are the cheap timing lights off ebay any cop?

A lot of drapers knocking around at £20 posted. I know Draper's not really Draper anymore, but will they do the job?

Reply to
Doki

Draper never was draper :-) They do what they say on the tin.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Draper only ever stuck their badge on other's stuff. They may have had some specially made for them - but I don't think they owned any factories.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any xenon light will do, ones that run off battery 12v avoid the need for extension leads etc. You will pay more for inductive clamp type, easier to use and less likely to damage a HT lead as don't have to pull HT leads around. I don't think anyone still make the horrible neon ones, you had to be in a very dark place to use them.

Beware if using one that has "adjustable" timing. The "adjustment" does nothing to your engines timing, it delays the flash so it occurs at TDC for engines that only have a TDC mark or for when true TDC has been found with a dial gauge and remarked. For an engine with a timing mark at required n degrees advance, the light should be set to 0 degrees.

If you have a coil on plug ignition then you need a short HT plug lead adaptor. Remove the coil, fit short lead between plug and coil. Put the timing light pickup on the short lead.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Coil on plug? You think I'd own something that advanced? :D

Reply to
Doki

Do any cars with 'coil on plugs' have adjustable timing? Or indeed timing marks to check things with?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd doubt it.

Reply to
Adrian

Yup mine has coil on plug "direct fire" ignition - model introduced

1989. The pick up (CAS crank/cam angle sensor) is driven by exhaust cam, held to front of belt cover by 3 bolts and is rotated to set timing. Marks on pulley every 5 deg between 20 BTCD to 5 ATCD. Timing is largely set and forget. If when timed up to the 15 BTCD mark the bolt heads don't sit in middle of slots then something is very wrong, worn splines on CAS drive, broken D segment on drive, belt jumped a tooth or sheared bottom pulley key.

Not ODBII. The EFI system troubleshooting only needs a multimeter, on ohms or volts setting to check everything. Very simple diagnostics, turn a screw, make leds flash on ECU. It can be serviced at roadside next to a paddy field and needs no "magic" devices that only dealers can buy. It still has advanced features like air-con cut at high load so all the engine power goes to transmission on demand, PWM idle control in response to high electrical loads like heated rear screen, knock detection (manual says it just retards and won't adjust to octane, JDM version cut boost if 100RON wasn't used), fuel cut on throttle shut above 1500rpm, fuel cut to prevent damage by exceeding ability of injection system to deliver required mixture (when boost turned up!) and lambda mixture learn.

OK more modern stuff needs an ODBII connection and a parameter is set from the laptop.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Why would you ever need a timing light on an engine with coil-on-plug ignition?

Reply to
Ben C

I should have read the rest of the thread first. Never mind.

Reply to
Ben C

Seems weird - why not use the flywheel etc for the timing reference since it is fixed relative to piston position - camshafts have a drive which can and will develop wear.

Indeed. But non of those would alter the ignition timing if it was set by the crank.

Is it a Honda or summat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..

Peter's always been very reticent about what sort of car he drives, how many window units (or is it shower screens?) he can get in it, and how it's better than any Veryon :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Shouldn't be too difficult to work out - variable valve timing and a turbo in '89? Performance Jap I'd guess. And very, very ugly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

91 facelift looks like a boat but that's an improvement on the 89-90 Pignose. Easy to mistake for a Probe.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Peter Hill (Peter Hill ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah. 200SX.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, is THAT what he drives? Not like he's ever mentioned it before :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Righto. Ordered one off Ebay. Hopefully the car will regain some power and stop shooting flames out.

Reply to
Doki

Tis certainly a mythical beast. Will out-perform a Veyron, carry more than a Scania and out handle Integrales all for 2 bob and a penny washer.

The one I drove was crap, and it was brand new.

Reply to
Pete M