Radial tyres and Innertubes

Is it safe or indeed legal to fit an innertube into a radial tyre ?

Regards & TIA

Reply to
Nice but Dim

Nice but Dim ( snipped-for-privacy@upyours.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

Legally, there is nothing stopping you from fitting a tube to any tyre. But in the case of tubeless tyres, one of the Bristish Standards (can't remember the number) covering tyre repair, states that it is not a satisfactory repair method. So any company who fits a tube to a tubeless tyre, can be done for supplying goods not fit for purpose.

Reply to
M Cuthill

M Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But only if they're fitting it for a "tyre repair". Fitting a tube is not a suitable puncture repair. Water's going to get in and rust the steel reinforcing belts.

But if it's because the rim isn't airtight (say, a wire wheel), then there's no issue.

Reply to
Adrian

I think the reason might be that tubeless tyres tend to have internal radial ridges, so movement of the tyre may cause chafing of the tube at these points. Tyres meant to be fitted with tubes are normally smooth inside. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It's still not an approved repair to fit a tube in a tubeless tyre/rim, regardless of where its leaking.

Reply to
M Cuthill

M Cuthill (moray_dot snipped-for-privacy@v21.me.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As a repair, no.

But you wouldn't be repairing it, would you? You'd be putting a new tyre and tube on.

Anyway, IDGAF. I had umpty-seven flats on the 4x4 until I lobbed tubes in. I've barely had any since.

Reply to
Adrian

It is not recommended, but I have done it with no problems in the long term. the legalities of a firm doing it for you would probably mean that a tyre place will just say no.

Reply to
mrcheerful

My 36 year old mg midget has been fitted with tubed radials for the full 10 years I've had it (and before). I have been to one or two tyre suppliers in this time and all have happily replaced covers and tubes as required without raising any question and certainly it's never been an issue at MOT.

Reply to
peter

Oddly enough a wire wheel midget was the last thing I put tubes in ! I put four new Michelin tyres on, but the suppliers wouldn't fit them with tubes, so I fitted them and the supplier then balanced them.

Reply to
mrcheerful