Random alarm sounding

My wife's Rover 400 (R Reg) has had a spell of completely random alarm sounding. I have come to suspect that this only occurs when one of the two keys fobs is used to lock the car and never occurs when the other one is used. With intermittent events it is, of course, hard to tell, but there definitely seems to be this pattern of behaviour.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a plausible mechanism by which one key fob could cause this behavour?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Amey