Fiat Punto 55 Starting problems

Hi all,

My father-in-law has an intermittent problem with his Punto (1996 N reg).

It all seems to be tied in with the immobiliser and key fobs. When initially starting, the fob is recognised and the code light goes out and the car can start. On subsequent restarts the code is not always recognised and nothing happens on trying to start.

He has two blue keys (one fob larger than the other) and a red key.

Any ideas of what the issue could be and how to resolve it? Is it possible to reprogram the blue key from the red - if so, how?

We opened up the red key and was suprised how little was in the fob - just a small round tube piece of something ... very strange.

Any advice greatfully received!

Many thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

The common problem seems to be the ECU, we have just done one, the car was lying for a year, started, got MOT'd ran perfectly for 2 days then wouldn't restart! neither of the keys were recognised.

Googled the fault, found a company that not only could recode the keys to the ecu but could remove the code altogether (1), sent the ECU off, 5 days later got it back, plugged it in and perfect ever since.

A lot cheaper than Fiat!!!!!

(1) maybe an insurance issue, but on a car that age, the customer wasn't bothered!!

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Hi Des,

Many thanks. Actually this car will restart after a while and the key does then get recognised. So, it could still be an ECU issue, it's just that it's intermittement makes me think that it may not be. Still your idea of removing the code is a sound one and I'll pass this on.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1