Re-fixing interior mirror

My sister is having trouble getting hers re-attached. I've used one of the mesh type adhesives in the past. The reliable guy who does her maintenance and MOT has had a go and just recently she asked a tyre place to do it, but it's fallen off again. So what's the answer?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Get it really really clean 1st

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Andy Cap writes

I had that problem in one of my cars. I think I bought a large, but very light mirror, and that stuck ok. The weight of the original mirror and the 'leverage' of the support arm was too much for any glue I tried.

Reply to
Gordon H

Many years ago I had an A35, the windows had no winder, they just pushed up and down. On the inside was a small rectangle of glass stuck to the window which you could grip to operate the window. When one of them came off I refixed it with PVA glue, Unibond I think. I coated the gripper and the spot where it was fixed and then let it dry overnight, next day I wiped both with meths and stuck them together, as far as I recall it stayed stuck.

Mind you, probably the best place to ask would be a windscreen repairer, they must do it often.

Reply to
prb

There is a Loctite product to glue it back on. Glass to glass or metal to glass. Just check if you need a primer to go with it.

Reply to
Rob

Nip into Autoglass or similar and give them the tenner. They must do loads of these.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

what vehicle?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

En el artículo , Duncan Wood escribió:

and do it on a warm, dry day. It's moisture that makes the bond fail.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fiat Punto.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've suggested she take it into a Windscreen place. If that fails I'll try the Loctite stuff on a warm day !

Cheers

Reply to
Andy Cap

Not sure if it's an 'approved' procedure but failing a warm day I've used a hairdryer in the past to (gently) get the windscreen all_over_warm after using meths / acetone (she may have nail varnish remover) to get the inside of the screen and mirror 'foot' meticulously clean.

Then I used the little double_sided (Summit brand?) adhesive pads sold in car spares places to stick it back on and they generally didn't move after that.

You have to be quite careful not to breathe on the screen as you are doing it (it lessens the issue being warm of course but it's still tricky as your face is often quite close to the action) and to hold the mirror foot against the screen as flat and hard as you can for as long as you can to give it a good start. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nail polish remover does contain other things besides acetone - thinking oil?

There should be a small mounting block that is attached first then the mirror assy - what ever method needs 24 hrs to harden

Reply to
Rob

The mounting block should never come off and a new screen comes with it already attached, it will need some serious glue to hold it back on, not a sticky pad. The cleaner needs to be something that leaves no residue, such as brake cleaner. Loctite sell a special mounting kit which has a special mesh and some glue which will keep the block on again. Most car shops probably keep it or can get it. It is about a fiver or so. Before refitting the mirror ensure that the adjustable swivel is not too stiff as this may be the reason it came off.

Reply to
Mrcheerful