Still having trouble with my 1987 ranger.

My 1987 2.9L Ranger 4X4 quit running the other night. I was going 55 mph and it just died. I did not have any spark so I changed out the ignition module. Nothing changed and I still do not have any spark. Any ideas? Several people mentioned the timing belt but I don't think that would have any bearing on not having any spark. Any help is appreciated.

Tim in Indiana

Reply to
Big T.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:37:45 -0500, Big T. rearranged some electrons to form:

Well if the timing belt was broken, I don't think the distributor rotor would be turning, hence no spark... but I may be wrong.

Reply to
David M

Your 2.9 doesn't have a timing belt. It isn't likely that the timing chain just up and broke, so you're on the right track looking for an ignition problem.

I got a cheapo code puller from Autozone for around $30 and it is pretty easy to use. It runs a bunch of checks on the system and might help you figure this out. Sorry I can't offer you more help.

Another place to ask is

when you need help with the bronco II.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

2.9 uses a chain, not a belt
Reply to
TranSurgeon

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:46:45 +0000, TranSurgeon rearranged some electrons to form:

I'm not surprised that I didn't know that, since I have never owned a vehicle with an engine that small. :-)

Reply to
David M

it's really a very good combination.2.9 with A4LD

only one thing....86's

86 was the first year for FI on the 2.9, and it will NOT adapt more than about 7500 ft altitude change

I thought I was gonna have to get out and push it over Monarch Pass, CO

Reply to
TranSurgeon

What's your opinion on the 2.9L with the M5OD? I'm just curious because that's what I have/had. (1990 BII - all parts are available for sale)

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

What size engine was on your '85 Thunderbird Turbo? ;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:37:52 -0400, Matt Macchiarolo rearranged some electrons to form:

Well, maybe small in displacement, but that little thing was a screamer. (BTW it was an '83).

I sold it before I had to change the timing belt. :-)

Reply to
David M