Loose interior mirror in E30

I recently bought a 1988 E30 cabrio in pretty good condition. One minor annoyance is that the interior rear-view mirror is loose. It rattles around.

Does anyone know how to tighten it? I don't see any set screws, but then again my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

TIA,

Lon McQuillin

Reply to
Lon McQuillin

If it's something in the mirror itself I'm not sure what you could do except remove it and silicone any loose parts. If it is loose at the attachment point there are very specific products out there that do exactly that - bond rear view mirrors to windscreens.

Reply to
tech27

Thanks much for the response.

The base bonded to the windscreen seems tight. About 1/8 of an inch away from the screen there's a joint, and that's where it's jiggly. From that point on the mirror assembly seems solid, so it's just the attachment point, which appears to be mechanical, and not glued.

I guess my question could be rephrased: How does one attach/remove the mirror from its (glued-on) base?

tech27 wrote:

Reply to
Lon McQuillin

Rotate it 120 degrees, clockwise or anti-clockwise. The triangular lump on the windshield is a soft metal designed to release the mirror if you hit it in a crash. It loosens up with time. Stick some RTV or silicone adhesive on the mirror base and reinstall it.

Or you can try replacing the base - but it sometimes fractures the glass getting it off.

Reply to
Don

The base is glued on, and the mirror can be put on and taken off by rotating the arm about 120°. If you put the mirror on, but set it so the arm is a little crooked, then it will be tight, and then you simply adjust the mirror on the arm so you see out the back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bingo! I twisted it maybe 5° to the right (which also improves forward vision - I'm a tall guy), readjusted, and it's now tight as a drum.

Thanks very much!

Lon

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Lon McQuillin

Please deposit the minimum labor rate to my retirement account ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland