Re: How do I store tires/tyres for a very long time???

I have some new, unused tires which recently went out of production.

> Because they are so damn good I want to store them so that I can use > them in future. > > The problem with rubber seems to be the fact that the softening agent > evaporates with time and makes the tire more hard and brittle. So how > can I prevent that from happening?

I believe pure soap is a rubber preservative, so maybe painting them with a mixture of soap and water, sealing them in polythene and storing them on their side will keep them soft and flexible. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

How about rubber adhesive?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

"Malc" wrote

Wouldn't that reverse the polarity of the neutron flow?

Reply to
The Blue Max

D'oh. Of course it would, you need the special hypermodulated sort to prevent that.

Reply to
Malc

Whats the scale that comes off rubber products like a wax do you think that is just a release agent or a preservative.

rm

Reply to
me

The two enemies of tyres, on and off a vehicle, are heat and light. So store them in the dark and keep them cool. i.e. Put in a black plasic bag and store in a cold area of the garage. Peter C.

Reply to
cornelp

As Peter says.. In a cool dark place. On end as they are on a car, and rotate them a little every couple of weeks.

Reply to
Greg