Re: Mondeo 1.8i 1994 automatic - OD lock not working

I bought a Mondeo 1.8i 1994 with CD4E automatic gear box. All four gears

> work, but I cannot lock out the overdrive (button on gear shift stick) > nor does the OD light go on. The car has rolled 90 thousand miles, so it > is in the risk zone for box trouble. It does not seem to shift bweteen 3 > and 4 much (which is said to burn out the belt), and all gears including R > (said to go first) work fine. > > What should I do about the non-working OD lock? The dealer gave me a 6 > months guarantee on engine and transmission.

Sounds like the switch or wiring up the selector or the relay is faulty. Have them fix it, and more importantly drain and flush the transmission with new fluid.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Must take it to them. Switch or wiring sounds not expensive.

Draining and flushing the tranny may be a problem - it is said it is sealed for life.

Dag Stenberg

Reply to
Dag Stenberg

message

Exactly- it is "said" to be sealed for life. Thats why so many expire well before 100k miles. The type of driving it does is a major influence however, but changing the fluid at 20k intervals will prolong the life of this poor 'box 10 fold.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

No, the C4DE is just crap, and no oil, especially the relatively small amount within a gearbox can remain servicable for the life of the car.

The Aisan transaxle that began life in the Volvo 800 /70 series is meant to be sealed for life too, but almost all fail around 100k if this is adhered to. And Volvo use some *mega* expensive fully synthetic volvo only fluid for these boxes when filled.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I called the previous owner. He bought the car three years ago at 55 tho miles, and the OD switch did not work then. He never missed it. I have not had time yet to do anything about changing the oil or repairing the switch/lead/relay.

Dag Stenberg

Reply to
Dag Stenberg