Re: salesmen

I understand what you are getting at but it is not fair tarring all service receptionists with the same brush.

Service Reception has to be the most difficult job in any dealership but, unfortunately, not all dealers employ people up to the job.

Yes they have to be salesmen but mainly they have to be good communicators with good memories and the capability of keeping track of everything going the workshop at one time.

From experience, most technicians make poor receptionists. We look for people skills first.

Unfortunately, too many service receptionists and service managers are ex-technicians who should never have been taken away from their spanners!

Reply to
Alan

Sadly they may have good people skills but the lack of mechanical knowledge means they can't properly communicate between the punter and service shop. If someone comes in talking technical they should get someone from the workshop who can talk technical back. If they actually did commuicate effectively there would not be people going around thinking a full/major 60K mile (or whatever) service includes a cam belt change. Although if people knew how much of the time they pay for is look see, against actual work done they might deline the service altogether.

You only have to look at the coolant and hydraulic fluid on most second hand cars to see that they have failed to sell the punter the 2 yearly coolant and fluid change - more than once on many cars. Why? Because they don't have the technical knowledge to explain why it should be done.

Peter Hill

Fortunately I haven't needed anything serious done to my car, but I agree that this could be a problem. A mechanic would also have a better idea of the amount of time/work involved and plan things better.

I've wasted about £6 on coolant and it's rubbish. I got it from Halfords and it was REALLY expensive. It would cost me less to bin it and buy the whole lot from another place. I think my coolant needs changing really, it was fairly low when I got the car, but I can probably leave it if I sell my car in a years time :-D.

Reply to
Peter

How is the coolant rubbish? Its either blue, green or pink and you put in your radiator. Now £6, thats really a lot of money. Do you get enough pocket money? .

Reply to
spud

wtf are you on about?

Reply to
Robert R News

The message from Robert R News contains these words:

Odd, isn't it? Either it cools or it doesn't, and having low level doesn't mean it needs replacing - just topping up.

What /do/ they teach 'em these days?

Reply to
Guy King