Mitsubishi Rip Off Pricing

Just phoned to book the car in for it's 36k mile service (last whilst it's under warranty).

£310.76.

That includes. Oil, air filter. New oil. New plugs. Change coolant. Change brake fluid.

Apparenlty 2.1 hours work.

Someone explain that to me please? JESUS.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Does this include the VAT :-(

Regards

Reply to
incognito

If that is all, then it would tale 45 minutes (quicker than Saddam!) for an untrained non-professional DIY person. He could even throw in a tyre pressure check.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Heh - I used to have a spacewagon, so I'll venture it's something like...

Oil - 6l @ £10 = £60 Air filter - £20 = £80 Oil filter - £12 = £92 Plugs - £40 = £132 Coolant - £15 = £146 Brake fluid £20 = £166 Labour @ £50/hr = £271 VAT £47.43 = 318

not a bad guess???

Take it to an independant if it's out of warranty and I reckon the same job would be

Oil £25 Air filter £20 Oil filter £8 Plugs £20 Coolant £10 Brakefluid £20 Labour £75 £178 + vat = 209 quid, that's 109 quid in your sky rocket.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, i'd like to see you change the brake fluid and coolant in 45mins, never mind oil, plugs and the other standard service checks! When do you want to do it- i'm free all this week!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Hmm, maybe you have a point there. Brakes are really not for DIY. But garages have a lift, that makes things easier and quicker. Say, you start by opening the oil and coolant. In the meantime change air filer and plugs (easy). When the fluids have drained then replace oil filter and fluids. Now back to the brake fluid (head scratching...)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Or DIY

Oil £10 Air Filter £10 Oil Filter £6 Plugs £8 Coolant £10 Brake Fluid £15 (including buying an eezibleed). These are retail prices including the VAT, obtained without too much shopping around. No Special tools or secret knowledge needed to do these jobs. 45 minutes may be unrealistic working on the drive, but you'll certainly manage it in a couple of hours.

£59 all in - thats a lot more in your pocket
Reply to
arry_b

Oil £10? What fine quality product would this be then :-) I think I'd be tempted on spending some of the money saved on top quality oil etc.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Hello,

It makes no difference what brand of oil you use in some cars, it's all much the same anyway. Just some use fancy names like Shell Helix and others like Halfords! Go for the cheaper brand name and it's probably made by the same people. Just like foods are made by the same company and repackaged.

Reply to
Ian

Err, take your pick!

Total Quartz semi-synthetic, VW/ Audi Synta Semi-synthetic. Comma Premium lite / premium flow semi synth.

All with good ACEA ratings, all around a tenner inc VAT in lots of factors near me, and I'm not trade. Nissan and Vauxhall dealers are also reputed to have a good semi synthetic for little money. They'd still have to go a long way to beat my all-time bargain of Duckhams 5W40 fully synth for £1.88 a litre though.....

Of course, if you buy your oil at Halfords (generally believed to be Esso inside the bottle - same as Comma), or oils marketed at the consumer marker (like most Castrol oils nowadays) you'll pay a lot more.

'arry

Reply to
arry_b

I see what you mean - somehow I'd picked up that he needed 6l of something fancy, but then I re-read and realized that it wasn't the OP itemizing his bill, and £10/l was just what a dealer charged someone else for oil, which could be anything. I was thinking along the lines of VAG, BMW et. al. with their fancy specifications and oil that costs a bomb. Yep, decent semi-synth at a factor for a tenner - I agree that can be done.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Morris Mulitvis 10w40 Semi synthectic £10.53 inc VAT. Changed every

3K - book says 4.5K but small print says more often if subject to long idling or short jouneys and I count my daily 10 mile 20 min to work and back + the 5 miles 15 min into the nearest town 3 or 4 times a week as just that. Genuine Nissan made in Japan oil filter £2.30 (when buying 10 for £23, I won't use the nasty little ones they source in the UK).

Peter Hill

I'm *dying* to get a look inside an engine that someone's used the £2.99 no-spec oil in.

I expect they think they're saving money.

Reply to
arry_b

Typical service schedule

Minor service.

1: CHANGE oil and filter. 2: Check mixture / O2 sensor / ECU codes. 3: Check plugs. 4: Check brake, clutch, auto trans fluid levels and leaks. 5: Check power steering fluid level, hoses and pipes. 6: Check exhaust. 7: Check brakes and pads. 8: Check seat belts. 9: Check brake and clutch pedals and parking brake lever for correct operation and free play. 10: Lube locks.

CHECK - if anything is wrong that can't be quickly adjusted or fixed without parts, fluids or striping down you get a phone call and will be told what and how much to fix in ADDITION to service cost. eg: Brake pads and rotors will always be an extra cost item.

Major service. as above

11: + CHANGE plugs if not platinum / iridium / palladium (60K). 12: + check drive belts 13: + check cooling system 14: + check PCV and EGR operation and vacuum hoses 15: + check drive shafts, axles and suspension, 16: + check wheel alignment, if necessary rotate and balance wheels 24/30K (but may be later for first time as un-contaminated) as major 17: + CHANGE coolant 18: + CHANGE air filter 19: + CHANGE fuel filter and check fuel lines 20: + CHANGE brake and clutch fluid. 21: + check brake booster, hoses and valve.

Peter Hill

Same thing on a BMW 528, but only an oil service plus the time based fluid changes, (the major services are Inspections), so no plugs or filter. And fixing - or rather not - a leak from the steering reservoir to fill pipe - ie tightening a clip.

487.54, thank you sir.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Gulp. So Mitsubishi aren't so bad.

I really wouldn't mind this price - but it's bloody insulting tbh.

It works out that each "technician" brings in 131820 /year to the business in labour alone. There's 5 at this garage - that's 659100 in labour fees alone. I don't thing they pay their technicians 650 grand a year between the five of em. I'd think it's more like 100 grand for all of em - maybe a bit more....

Bastardos.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Castrol SLX is the recommended stuff for mine.... scary price, like Mobil 1 used to be, I reckon the oil companies put the dealers on comission (or give them the oil free)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

depends how often they change it, I reckon 2.99 oil changed every 6k is a better bet than 19.99 oil changed every 20.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I would reckon that each tech is charged out for abour 20hrs/wk that's £1000/wk each at 50 quid an hour. Good ones I hope are earning 12-20k, so average at 15k and you're looking at 290 salary, and then maybe 50% on top for training, sick, holiday, NI, management etc. so each costs them about

435/week. So the margin is about 66%, not unreasonable on labour I reckon. Add an average of 30% margin on parts at least. Don't forget that although you are charged 50/hr sometimes there'll be someone assisting on the job (holding the bit they are hitting...)

Rent on some of the sites though will be huge especially main dealer's prime sites. Probably the biggest cost to the business after staff and stock.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Most of the answers are in your post. "Main dealer" is implied. Then there is "under warranty"...

You also correctly say "that includes". It is not an exhaustive list, and the actual list of things to be checked, adjusted or topped up as required will certainly go some way to explaining the 2.1 hours. It is quite likely they will clean the car, maybe even valet the interior. They should also road-test it. Is there a courtesy car offered ? All of this has to be paid for. The grease monkeys are propping up the dealership; as well as their wages, you have to add all the expensive equipment, site and building overheads, service reception, half a dozen computers, bits of the management, half the sales staff if they are slow at shifting cars.

I have one more service to go on my Honda before the warranty expires. I have not yet decided whether to go independent after that. The menu pricing is not *too* bad, but I think the cambelt change at £177 is on the steep side.

Reply to
John Laird