Engine overheat in Vauxhall Midi van

hello all

First of all, I'm a total novice when it comes to tinkering about with engines - checking oil level and topping up radiator is about the limit of my knowledge, so this will all sound a bit stupid.

I've got a 1994 Vauxhall Midi diesel van with 2L Isuzu engine. Yesterday it lost power completely so I had to stop - engine had overheated, steam & oil fumes and wouldn't restart. So I left it for a bit, put more water in the radiator and it was ok until I got home (about 40 miles). I must have put at least 7 litres of water in it. The oil level is fine but there are small spots of oil where the van's been parked.

On my dashboard a light comes on which according to the manual means there's water in the fuel filter and it has to be drained. It only comes on on ignition and goes out during normal running but the manual doesn't say it's supposed to light up on ignition - so I'm confused.

What I want to know is a) have I done any serious damage to the engine, and b) what might have caused it.

thanks in advance and sorry for the daft questions Andy

ps, I've noticed my temp gauge has stopped working

Reply to
Andy

There is almost certainly some damage done by the overheat. You need to find and fix the leaks and cross your fingers for the rest, get the temp gauge fixed. The water in fuel light should illuminate when you first switch on so that the bulb is checked, unless there is somewhere really dodgy you fill up then the light is unlikely to come on during use.

The oil spots underneath are common if a vehicle has been overheated, they may cure themselves or not.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful