Re: Water leaking - Regulator?

I am new to driving and I know nothing about cars.

> >Last night, as I was parking my car, there was a trail of some sort of >fluid on the ground right upto the front of my car. It was 12:30am, and >I wasnt sure who to ask for help at that time of the night. I noticed >the light on at a neighbours house, and rememberd he works late >evenings, so he would have just got in. I knew it wasnt right, but it >was emergency, so I knocked on his door and told him about what was >happening. He came out cheerfully with his torch and had a look around >and said that my regulator is leaking and that I shouldnt drive the car >anymore and take it to a mechanic as soon as possible. > >What does this mean? >What does the regulator do? >I thought there was another part that has water in it, or is theis the part? >Is it really dangerous? >Does anyone know how this could have been caused? >Does anyone know if it'll be costly? - repair or replace? > >This morning I travelled to work by bus, as I was leaving I saw a wet >patch under the car, about a square foot area. It wasnt a puddle, just >wet patch. > >Will, I be able to drive to the mechanic, he is about 20 minutes away >from home? Will I need to put water in it, to be able to drive to him? > >Someone please suggest something ot me, I am lost.
[crossposted in full to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ]

Never heard of a regulator on a car, but I'm no expert.

If it's definitely water, then water pumps (circulate water round the engine to keep it cool) fail from time to time. I think I get through one about every 50,000 miles. I believe it's the bearing that goes. ISTR them failing more frequently if you do low (say

Reply to
Daytona

Does the car have A/C and have you been using it a lot? At this time of year it is not uncommon for people to find pools of water under the car when the A/C collection tank overflows. If this is the case then you can safely ignore it.

Otherwise, put your fingers in the fluid and smell it. Each of your car's fluids will have a distinct smell and consistency.

Petrol is obvious. Oil is obvious. Brake fluid. If you dont know what it smells like, take the top off the reservoir, dip your finger and compare. Water (from cooling system) will have a slightly sweet smell and feel slightly sticky (antifreeze). Water (from washers etc) should smell of screen wash. Water (from AC) should be clear, clean and odour free.

Reply to
Mark Foster

The only regulator you're likely to have is a voltage regulator. This controls the charging rate of the alternator.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Are you sure you didn't just mis-hear him and he said the radiator was leaking?

Vin

Reply to
Vin

LOL! I think I did mishear him! It is the radiator! :) Just shows how much I know about cars!

I showed it to my brother yesterday evening, and he filled it up with a little bit of water. Luckily, not much had leaked.

We drove it to the garrage and the mechanic said that we can fix this ourselves. Told us to drain some water out of the radiator when the engine has cooled down. Could take an hour or even more. Then pour some sealant which he gave to us, and fill it back up again. He said the water and the sealant will circulate inside and any holes, will be sealed up. He also said, after about 10-12 days, to drain out the water in the radiator and re-fill with fresh water.

Reply to
Shopnor

Shopnor (shopnor snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you need a new mechanic, fairly urgently.

Firstly, that sealant is a bodge. If there's a small leak in the rad, it's either a stone hole (where sealing it could be effective) or corroded - in which case, the rad won't be working effectively and needs replacing. Adding sealant just decreases the efficiency even more, and can glue things up.

It doesn't sound like - with no insult intended - you're up to replacing the coolant yourself in the slightest. Even assuming you manage to drain it (no, it's not that easy) without pouring it all over the ground (illegal, due to the coolant in it), would you know that you need to make sure there's no airlocks - and how to?

Also - if you just use "fresh water", prepare for a VERY large bill come winter, at the first cold snap. If you're lucky, you'll only wreck the radiator. You may put a hole in the side of the engine, though, as the water freezes and expands.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use "fresh water" in the coolant - ALWAYS use "anti- freeze" - it does far more than just preventing freezing. It also helps to transfer heat more efficiently and prevent corrosion in your engine.

Reply to
Adrian

Not just water, add anti-freeze as well (yes even at this time of year) as it has corrosion inhibitors, lowers the boiling point of the water and does other useful things.

Reply to
Brimstone

No insult at all - will get Brother to do it, as he has done this before on his car.

Well, isnt it a mixture? Anti-freeze and freshwater? or is it JUST anti-freeze?

Just out of interest, how much would a radiator cost for my type of car, had I needed to replace it?

Reply to
Shopnor

Shopnor (shopnor snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It depends on what you buy. If it's neat anti-freeze, then it's about a 1:2 mix. If it's pre-mix coolant, then it's neat.

Not a lot. Probably around £30.

Reply to
Adrian

It's a mixture of anti-freeze and freshwater. The degree of dilution should be on the bottle or in the car's handbook.

I don't know, but don't go to your local main dealer, it'll be horrendously expensive. If you've found a friendly mechanic ask him. But if he is recommending a sealant, I'd take his advice, it sounds like he's trying to save you money rather than rip you off. I've used sealant loads of time in the past and never had any ill effects, even when leaving it in rather than draining it as per the instructions..

Reply to
Brimstone

Is that it? lol! - I thought a few hundred quid! Ohh phew!

Reply to
Shopnor

horrendously

I owned a car a few years ago on which the head gasket failed soon after we bought it. The garage that carried out the repair told me that a large part of the failure had been caused by a previous owner having used a sealant on the radiator, and that having messed up the cooling system.

Reply to
Leyland_Leopard

Fuel pressure regulator? Bit of a problem if it's leaking water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmm, raises it, as does pressurisation of the system.

You want the boiling point higher, not lower. Otherwise your car ends up a steaming mess a lot earlier.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes quite true, I got the "lowers" and "highers" arse about face.

Reply to
Brimstone