Refurbing Alloy Wheels

Greetings gentlemen,
What are the options for refurbing heavily corroded alloy wheels? The ones I've been given look pretty reasonable from the outside, but the
inside surfaces are in a shocking state for some reason. I'm sorely tempted to have at it with a wire mop on the end of an electric drill, but am concerned the resulting scratches might result in them degrading again faster in future than would otherwise be the case.
I saw some bloke today who does powder coating for 50 quid per wheel; says he makes 'em look like brand new - but black. But I'd really like to keep it original if possible and retain that factory-fresh bright ally finish. Any ideas?
On 12/01/2018 20:18, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Powder coating doesn't *have* to be black. I had mine done in a silvery colour, which wasn't too far off the original appearance. There are lots of places which do it. Look online for a few local ones, or ask at tyre depots, and then speak to a few of them. Make sure they've got the right facilities to get all the existing crud off prior to powder coating.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 12/01/18 21:59, Roger Mills wrote:

Indeed. There's lots of places that will powder coat or paint in a range of colours.
One thing with powder coat; it looks ace and it's easy to clean, but if it gets damaged and the moisture gets in it will blister.
If you're anywhere near, I've used A1 Wheels in Wolverhampton several times over the years.
https://www.facebook.com/a1wheels/

Yes. I had the alloy wheels on my SD1 done a few years ago. They haven't lasted as well as the original factory paint. But has blistered in places where it can't have been damaged as such.
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

I've had that too. I guess that it only takes a hole somewhere in the coating for moisture to penetrate, and it may try to exit elsewhere.
On 16/01/2018 18:34, Chris Bartram wrote:

Not a plug as such, but my brother's small business did some for me, powder coated and lacquered, and they weathered very well (in the 2 years after they were done before I sold the car). He's got all sorts of cleaning tanks, sand blasters and booths to powder coat for JCB etc. I think they charge £50 a wheel.
--
Cheers, Rob

Mine were done rather longer than 2 years ago. The originals did about 10+ years before getting tatty. But I didn't have them powder coated as soon as they did. Could be it would work better than factory paint on a new wheel.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

RJH formulated the question :

I did my own around 4 years ago, just cleaned up/out the dings, filled, smoothed then aerosol painted, then a coat of lacquer - both supposed to be suitable for wheels. They still look presentable.