VW Golf Match 1.6 2012

Driving along I noticed that my coil light was flashing amber on the dashbo ard. I decided to pullover an check the manual. When I tried to brake, I
could'nt depress the pedal and had to let the revs drop and slowed using th e gears and handbrake. When the car was parked, I still could not depress the brake pedal. After approx 20 mins, I restarted the car and found the b rake pedal released. I used the car over the weekend before taking it to a VW mains dealer who have serviced the car from new. I should mention that the car had the emissions fix approx 6 mths ago after which I have noticed some minor issues. Sounds of engine racing after the car is stopped and a nd ignition switched off and secondly when driving at 29 mph in 3rd gear, t here can be a little judder...
VW tell me that there is no relationship between the coil warning light and the brake failure. Also the VW engineers have told the dealer that they h ave no record of anything like this happening previously across the whole c ountry (if not Europe). They have suggested replacing the Vacuum hoses..
Any ideas what happened and what I should expect VW to do?
Thanks
me

Did you quite literally stand on the pedal and no effect whatsoever?
If so that sounds very strange, the servo amplifies pedal pressure, it shouldn't normally prevent the brakes from working all together.
On some cars a vacuum pump is fitted on the back of the alternator, I have no idea if that applies to your car. If so a failure, ie siezing of alternator, one way clutch failing to work etc could provide the simultaneous servo fail and warning light.
I'm sure others will be along shortly to assist.
On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 01:00:15 UTC, Fredxx wrote:

Yes, I couldn't depress the pedal at all. It just wouldn't't budge..

The amount of pressure needed goes up dramatically when the power assistance fails. Can't think of anything which could lock the pedal in the off position. It would be difficult to pass regs with such a device.
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Indeed.
IMHO every learner driver should be required to brake a car with the engine off, if only from a very low speed. I've taken a few people to try this (on a really quiet road or empty car park!) who have been shocked at the force required. Ditto steering.
--
Robin
On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 10:55:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thanks David

Lack of vacuum in the brake booster system will cause the brake pedal to feel solid, the lack of vacuum also means that the turbo will not have its actuators working, which will put on the flashing glow plug light. First thought would be a cracked vacuum pipe.
On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 07:58:52 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

I'll speak with the main dealer. They have told me that although the onboa rd computer has recorded an event, they can't find the problem nor have th ey been able to replicate it