Reluctant to start

I have 3 year old Xsara(first MOT 2 weeks ago) and today it refused to start .Gave it a few tries with starter ......no joy.lifted the bonnet and tried to look intelligent(wife was watching out the window)and this is a terrible admission, I thought it could be a flooded carburetter.The engine is fuel injection.!!!! Anyway after touching bits here and there I jumped into car and tried again and it started first time. The questions I would like answered>In the same situation again what would I look for ,or is there anything a complete novice can do .

Reply to
Tab

Get out, poke under the bonnet for a few minutes, while swearing and sucking teeth. Get in, and looking resigned, try it.

If it starts, you've fixed it, otherwise, call the AA, who will likely repeat these steps, and then tow you to a garage :)

Seriously though. I would invest in a haynes manual for your car, and actually read the thing - at least the 'periodic maintainance' bits. Doing what it suggests will actually help prolong the life of your car, and the 'how it works' sections will give you some clue as to how it all works.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Do you have a fuel leak around the engine area???

If it was air would get into the lines when the engine is off, this would cause a delay when starting the day after???

Reply to
PhilÅ

Just a guess but, if you had a dicky fuel pump relay, slamming the bonnet down could have made it jump into life, as could poking it, hitting it or simply touching it by pure chance.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

Thanks all for helpful replies.I have another question.Car started first time this morning and have just checked , warranty expires on Tuesday,is here any point in me going to garage and saying there was a bit of trouble starting on Saturday.Do you think I would have a case?

Reply to
Tab

Been reading the above again.I just mean ,could the garage do anything.I dont mean would they take the car back!!!

Reply to
Tab