Renault 19 blue smoke

Hi, Just changed the oil (15w40) and filter on my renault 19 1.4 Once the engine has warmed up, and I keep the revs at 4-5000 for a few seconds, I get clouds on blue smoke. Any ideas whats causing this, could the oil be to thin, sure it never done this before I changed the oil? The car is due an mot soon, will it fail on this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark

I hope you aren't just revving the engine up to 5000 rpm under no load - this will damage the engine.

Doubt it 15w40 is quite thick. Is it what is specified in the handbook? Is the oil it certified to the proper specifications (eg API etc). Are you sure you haven't overfilled it?

, sure it never done this before I changed the oil? The car is due

Yes, probably. If you've used the right oil, and haven't overfilled it I'd get rid of it as blue smoke is a sign of an engine in bad nick.

HTH,

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

What's the difference between revving the engine up to 5000 rpm under no load and whilst driving? How's it going to damage the engine?

Reply to
No SPAM please I'm British

The engine isn't doing anything with the power its producing, so it ends up shaking itself to bits.

Reply to
Ber

Well if it's producing significant power then it'll accelerate past

5000Rpm. Pointless exercise but no more damaging than running under load.
Reply to
Duncan Wood