Renault Technical Note....anyone know where I can get one?

Hi

I have an Espace (worst thing I have _EVER_ bought).

In the garage yet again this time with suspected timing belt slip (so who knows what damage done)

Green flag man said he could see the edge of a belt shredding (I wasn't there but I guess this was the alternator belt as I doubt you can see the timing belt)

Have found an old thread on net saying that this is a known fault that should have been fixed with some pulley mod'

Seemingly the bits of shredded alternator belt get in to the timing belt and cause the slip.

Garage (main Renault dealer) are denying all knowledge and expecting me to pay out!

Supposedly there is a "Renault Technical Note Green" ref 4263A from August

2002 (I think) but I can't seem to get a copy.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this fault or access to a copy of the relevant tech note.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jonathan Nottingham

Reply to
Jonathan Etheridge

Really, we had one for 12 years or so and found it excellent. Only one problem that I consider out of the ordinary in that time- a broken rear suspension spring.

Doesn't sound likely- the timing belt is fully enclosed and if bits of shredded belt could get in, so would muck, oil, etc. which would be far more damaging.

I hope you get your problem solved.

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

I've got a copy of the renault technical information system I'll see if it's in there but I might need to know the engine number.

Reply to
adder1969

snip

Ask at

- there several Renault techsthere

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Hi thanks for that. Don't know the engine number (other than it's a 2001 2.2 DCI) as it's in the garage at present so can't look at any markings etc.

However finally had an update and they tell me that they have found a piece of metal sheared off the timing belt tensioner (whole kit was replaced @ end Dec!) and that the belt has lost its tension. Not sure why it has taken them

3 days to find that and why yesterday they have said they had inspected the kit they fitted and found no faults!

Anyway upshot is that they now believe that Renault will cover the cost as this was a faulty part....they now need to decide whether to strip the engine down and look for damage or fit a new timing belt kit and see what happens...Renault have to decide the course of action apparently.

Hopefully we may see a resolution to this - once it's back on the road it's going straight in Autotrader...it has been nothing but trouble from new!

Thanks anyway

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Etheridge

Happened to a 5 year old Megane diesel I know of.

And as far as I know, Renault didn't show any interest in helping out as it was a couple of years out of warranty.

Reply to
Stuffed

fords had the same problem on the 1800 diesels, weve fitted a few modified timing covers as the alternator belts shred and get pulled in by the timing belt.

Reply to
reg

Actually very common, also on the 1.9 Peugeot/Citroen range My 98 xantia for one, jumped a few teeth, just one strand of the alt. belt!! it was a new timing belt and you could see the metal of the reinforcement, I was lucky new belt, retimed and off it went 20K later still running! (new alt belt tensioner as well , the old one wiped out a new belt in 3 months!!, I brought in a xsara last year same problem he was also lucky new belt and it was OK!

So keep an eye on those polyV (ribbed) auxiliary belts, its not like the old v belts which just break, these when they start to break up the strands can cause a lot of damage, broke a crankshaft pulley on a Saab I was out at!! I am seeing it more and more at breakdowns. Renault, Saab ford, Rover Citroen, Peugeot to name a few

Des

Reply to
Des