How to remove back box from rest of exhaust system?

In the absence of an oxy-acetylene torch, blowlamp or similar, what's the easiest way to remove the back box from the rest of the exhaust system? The pipe from the back box fits over the pipe coming from the centre box. I have found in the past that removing the U-clamp will weaken the joint when driving around.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Gary O'

I would use an air chisel with an exhaust removing bit. Assuming you are at home with average toolkit then: Cut the box off, leaving a bit of pipe still on the front pipe, slice down the side of the remaining stub with an angle grinder, be reasonably careful to only cut the outer bit, it is not difficult, as the sparks change colour when you get through the outer layer to the rust between the pipes, then just open the sleeve up and remove the bit.

If you don't have an angle grinder then just make a spiral cut with a hacksaw to achieve the same result.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for that. I have an angle grinder, but no source of electricity at street level. I'll try the (large) hacksaw approach.

Reply to
Gary O'

So you are responsible for all those rear silencers laid around on the carriageway?

Cheers.

Reply to
Conor

I've always used on of those cheap blowlamps from B&Q on the outer pipe and the FBH, or VFBH to belt the back box part loose.

Os

Reply to
Senor Osito