Renault Clio 1.5 dci 52 plate. Fault with electrics - can anyone help??!!!

I've had my Clio for 16 months with no problems at all up to now and completely love it. Just before Christmas my cd player stopped working. It didn't come on at all for a couple of days then it came back to life for a few minutes then the word 'SPEECH' flashed up (on the display that normally shows the radio station) and it went off again, making a slight crackle sound. This happened again a few times over the next few days. I thought it was maybe just a loose connection so I took it to my local auto electrician who said that there was no loose connection and it looked like the actual cd player unit was faulty. I got a replacement one and went back to have it swapped over but it didn't work and they thought I had a problem with the digital display so they got me another one and replaced it but this still didn't fix the problem. They now think that it is a problem with my electrics and recommended that I take it to my local Renault garage and they would plug it into some system and it should tell them what the fault is. I phoned the Renault garage (who can't look at it for another two weeks!) and they said that it would cost me =A353 per hour for them to look with no guarantee that they will be able to fix it. I now don't know what to do as I am worried that they still won't be able to sort the problem and I will be hundreds of pounds out of pocket and no further forward. Has anyone else has problems like this? Any help at all would be gratefully appreciated as I am totally stuck! Thanks Wendy

Reply to
wenderz17

This should be simple enough to diagnose and it sounds like you're being messed around or conned. Take it to a decent auto electrician and explain the problem, they should be able to sort it out fairly easily. The Yellow Pages should list some local small businesses who can look at it for you. Avoid main dealers and large businesses for this kind of work unless you want to fork out a lot of money.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Thanks for your reply. I think the Renault garage are definitely ripping me off but the auto electrician is a really good one and as they couldn't sort the problem (and they had my car to bits and took hours trying to work out what was wrong) they wouldn't take any money off me for doing it which makes me think that they really don't know what the problem is.

Reply to
wenderz17