Replace shocks?

My front off-side shock is weeping, very slightly. This may sound like a stupid question, but should I replace it? My dad says that it's fine because it's not bad. It's been weeping for weeks, maybe months, but I've only just realised that it's a problem. I usually check it after washing the car so I could never be sure that it wasn't just water, but I checked it today and it's damp.

When it's cold/damp I sometimes get squeaking when I go over humps too, don't know whether that's related. I'm not too worried at the moment, but if it needs replacing I won't want to leave it too long.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

What is the car ? - Age? - Mileage? - Anything that helps... ?

Generally I would say change them anyway, you haven't given the age of the vehicle, or the mileage, but I suspect it's no spring chicken.

If you replace them, I suspect you will notice a hell of a difference, especially high speed handling and braking, they shouldn't really weep anything, this could be an MOT failure point as well.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Sorry (I would've thought you'd all know by now lol). It's a V reg (1999) Fiat Seicento SX, and has done 40,000 miles. I suppose 40,000 miles in cities could probably kill them.

difference,

I've always thought that my handling was bad, but my tires aren't great anyway :-S. My dad tells me that it would pass an MOT.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

In all honesty, I would expect them to last longer than 40,000 miles.... but...

Taken from Munro's website

Q: A technician pointed out that I have a light film of oil covering my shocks or struts, should they be replaced?

A. If the shocks or struts are functioning correctly, a light film of oil covering the top half of the working chamber does not warrant replacement. This light film of oil results when oil used to lubricate the rod gets wiped from the rod as it travels into the painted part of the shock or strut. (The rod is lubricated as it cycles in and out of the working chamber). When the shock / strut is manufactured, an extra amount of oil is added to the shock / strut to compensate for this slight loss. On the other hand, fluid leaking down the side of the shock / strut indicates a worn or damaged seal, and the unit should be replaced.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

months,

miles....

replacement.

I think the oil's running down the side, but I'll need to have a good look sometime. The drivers side shock doesn't have any of the oil so I suspect that it is a fault.

What should be done when they are replaced? Am I correct in thinking you replace both at the same time, or is it all four at the same time? Do you replace the suspension springs at the same time too?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Inspect all bushes and springs and bump-stops for signs of cracking and splitting etc... Replace shocks in axle sets. Also check the strut bearings for excess play and change the bolts securing the shocks if they are showing excessive signs of wear (Dealer part usually, as are bump-stops)

Springs should last life of the car generally, I wouldn't have thought that this skateboard puts much stress on them anyway, you don't tow or anything or weigh 30+ stone do you?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Heres a bit of info re suspension parts my daughter had a 4 year old Clio the rear wishbones (? I didnt examine) fractured and were found at MOT time, apparently is not unusual for this make when advised Renault dismissed this as normal wear and tear! for reasons I cannot fathom she replaced the car last year with another new clio Derek

Reply to
Derek

Please replace your father. Please. For pity's sake.

Reply to
Stuffed

In case you didn't know, Peter, although seemingly not a complete dullard, is the offspring of a pair of the most mechanically oblivious quaterwits ever to curse this planet. These are the same parents who told him not to worry if his tyres were bald, the same people who have killed engines somehow by driving up hills, and the same godforsaken fools who when it comes to any motor vehicle safety issue and their son tell him not to worry, no matter how serious the fault may actually be.

Now, the fact Peter chooses to ask questions show's there is still hope for him to rise above the mental quagmire of his nurture, but it's not going to happen if you give him choices. In this case, the best advice is to tell him to get the front shocks done, as a pair, and if needs be behind his parents backs.

Just be bloody thankful he's not started on about pinking again, I don't think I could cope with all that again!

Reply to
Stuffed

I would be TBH. Once shocks start leaking, you'll have all sorts of related issues such as pinking and the likes.

HTH, G.

Reply to
G-Man

quaterwits

Excellent. It's almost worth keeping bits of that as a signature.

Reply to
Malc

You really need a new dad. It's an MOT failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

moment,

I just had a look at how 'springy' my suspension is. The one which was weeping actually didn't seem to bad to me. It went down, and then sprung back to where it was. However, the one which isn't leaking seems very springy to me. It didn't require as much effort to move, and it went up and down a few times :-o. The 'good' one is worse than the bad one isn't it? The wheels were on full lock at the time, but I doubt that it will make a noticable difference (if any).

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Didn't you have a long conversation with this group where we convinced you that your parents know basically f*ck all about cars and their advice is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard?

It sounds very knackered. Change them as a pair and have done with it.

Reply to
Conor

Ah Peter, you play the chucklehead so well and then let yourself down with a post like this. Nice try but only 6 out of 10 this time. I should stick to pinking if I were you.

HTH

Reply to
pb

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

MOT fail.

Please tell your dad from all of us here that he's a complete f****it who wouldn't recognise the difference between an arse and an elbow with the aid of an anatomy textbook.

Academic. The leaking one is an MOT fail, and you always replace 'em as a pair.

Perhaps you ought to consider the same approach to your parents?

Reply to
Adrian

Yup, replace both front shocks together.

Reply to
R. Murphy

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Note; Ensure that any fluid near the unit is from the shock absorber and not from another source, Slight seepage causing a thin fluid on a shock absorber is not a reason for rejection.

Source -

Guy King

Ah, I had another look, and the other one does seem OK, but the faulty one feels firmer.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

This is Peter. Keep it simple.