Replacing Discs..both or one???

Due to uneven wear on one of the front discs on my Renault Clio I have replaced it with a new disc, and at the same time replaced the pads on both discs.

Would it have been advisable to replace both discs, should discs be treated like shock absorbers and replaced in pairs?

Thanks CU

Reply to
CU

Personally, given the cost of discs, I'd replace in pairs.

There's a slight chance you could have a brake imbalance, but it's unlikely you'd notice unless the remaining old disc was severely worn.

Reply to
SteveH

Personally I would never even contemplate only replacing one disc. Braking is a critical part of a cars safety. Ideally both wheels should brake exactly the same. I doubt that will be the case with a new disc one side and a worn disc the other Despite new pads being fitted to both. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In theory you should replace both. But when you've done one side test the brakes and see if they are even. If not, replace the other as well.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

The problem may only appear when the brakes get hot - the new disc dissipating heat better than the old one. Hope you figured out why only one disc needed to be replaced 'cos otherwise you'll be doing it again in not very long.

Reply to
adder

BOTH BOTH BOTH!!! For the sake of a few quid, think about the consequences of it. they're going to bed in at different rates for a start, meaning the new disc will work better at first. try an emergency stop with that baby.

Reply to
jeremy

BOTH - PADS AND ALL AS WELL

Reply to