Single vs Dual Piston Calipers??

Does anyone know first hand if Dual Piston Calipers are any better than Single Piston Calipers ?

Just wondering.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,339 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Harry, the only vehicle that I've ever had with 4-piston calipers on was a1968 Impala SS427 coupe and they worked very well. I don't know if they are really that much better than single piston calipers but they do cost considerably more to replace.

Rich B

Reply to
Mike Levy

Well, sorta, not really. Yes and no. It depends. :)

Seriously... it really depends. In theory, yes. In theory - one piston on each side is more of an even push than one piston and sliders. However, single piston calipers are cheaper and almost as good.

Define "better." (seriously.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Besides the more even distribution of force to the width of the pad you will get twice the pressure that would normally be exerted on the rotor. They do generally stop you with much less peddle effort than single piston units. That is presuming they are sized correct by the designer.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Even force distribution on both pads. Less likely to have uneven brake pad wear. As far as stopping distance. Well If the single piston assembly is working properly than it is comparable to dual piston assembly as long as the contact area from piston or pistons are the same.

Reply to
Paul

well I know as a side effect, you can get larger brake pads (more surface area) the calipers on my monte are interchangeable with the dual piston calipers found on late model camaro's (with slight modification of the caliper bracket, the bolt hole has to be 14mm instead of 12mm)

the pads are about twice the surface area, and with a car that weighs just as much as the camaro, I'm sure theres a benefit in there somewhere.

Reply to
Paradox

It actually depends on the actual pressure that is behind the piston and the fact that two pistons will fit where one will and can be large enough to exhibit more pressure. The same concept applies to four valve cylinder heads, two valve that are

60% of the single valve's size will fit in it's place. Yielding you 20% more flow.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo