92 Maxima GXE - Needs TLC

I need some work on my Maxima and was wondering if there is any advice regarding the following work:

a) replace front shock absorbers b) new tires c) new brake discs and pads

Is it best to have a dealer work on these things, what cost should I expect, anything I should avoid or watch for etc.???

Reply to
RJ

All of these can be handled by any shop using aftermarket parts of equal quality to OEM. Tokico makes great OEM replacement shocks. I dunno about

3rd gens, but on a 4th gen it's a perfect time to replace the strut tower bearing (little plastic thrust bearing between the top of the shock and chassis).

Buy decent aftermarket rotors (basic Brembo blank rotors are great), decent pads, and get new brake hardware kits installed. Don't spend more for 'performance' versions - go for similar in kind of high quality. And definitely buy good tires.

The dealer will scrape the cash off your burning flesh if you go there for this kind of simple stuff. In fact, I could do the shocks and brakes in just a few hours using my basic tools. At the very least, you can have extra money to buy better tires.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Do NOT use tire stores etc for this type of other work, they will be as much as the dealer or more and use garbage parts. If you don't have a independent shop around you that specializes in these types of cars, the dealer is a safe place to get shocks and brakes done. Obviously get the tires elsewhere but again do NOT even talk to the tire store about this other work!

Reply to
Steve T

Why? Does your car bounce? My '91 SE with 167K miles has the original struts, and they still work just fine.

Easy to do yourself. Takes maybe 2-3 hours to do all 4.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

167K Miles
Reply to
Bill G