Ridgid right angle impact driver

When was the last time you saw a 100 metre long extension cable?

And a 8V drop is insignificant ands actually within tolerances for domestic UK supply.

Reply to
Conor

So in fact, you can't plug it into a domestic wallsocket at all as it'll fry the socket.

Reply to
Conor

: In article , Duncanwood says... : : > That's once it's running, the starting surge is nearer 40A. & if the volt : > drops the starting surge lasts longer. : > : So in fact, you can't plug it into a domestic wallsocket at all as : it'll fry the socket.

Providing the fuse / breaker doesn't go, 40A through a wall socket for a short period won't be a problem.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

: > What shall we consider? 13A going through a 100m long extension of : > 2.5mm^2 cross section? : > : > Resistivity of copper is (FX: flick, flick) 16.8 nohm m, so the : > resistance is (16.8 x 10^-9) x 100 / (2.5 x 10^-6) which is 0.67 ohm. : > Per conductor, of course, so that's a voltage drop in each of 13A x : > 0.67 ohm = 8.73V. Feed it with 240V and the compressor will see 240 - : > (2 x 8.73) = 222.5V. Since power is proportional to square of voltage, : > that's a drop of 14% at the compressor. : > : When was the last time you saw a 100 metre long extension cable?

They did say they'd need a long one in their case. I use a 50m one at home sometimes, and when I do electrical work on my boat in the yard I need two of them ...

: And a 8V drop is insignificant ands actually within tolerances for : domestic UK supply.

Two 8.7V drops.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

About 1/2 an hour ago. & the impedance of 2.5mm2 cables ~0.01Ohms/m so the above calculations optimistic.

Reply to
Duncanwood

That's the surge current. Your wall socket is perfectly happy acrrying that briefly, that's why you can use fuses.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Hey folks,

Can we get off the extension cord business? Believe me it is a problem in my case. Putting the theoretical issues aside, I have tried using a common pancake air compressor with a 12 gauge extension cord in a typical commercial garage outlet and it is touch and go. If the power source is well engineered, a 10 gauge, 25 ft extension might work, but I can't or won't take the chance that a typical socket available to my installers and repair technicians will be capable of supplying the power to a typical pancake compressor with its high starting current requirements. Even with the motor being unloaded during startup, the draw (especially at cold temperatures here in Michigan, USA) is quite high.

Please, lets address the torque issue. I have never tried a nitrogen tank. I am a little antsy about having a tank with the type of pressure a nitrogen tank would have. As far as the air on a truck. Yes, that would do the trick, but I don't want to tap into the air supply of a truck I am working on. There is a lot of variation in the type of trucks I am working on and I am trying to develop proceedures for an "idiot proof" way of working on them. I need to be independent of problems with the power sources I will be encountering. That is why I am interested in mostly battery powered solutions.

Reply to
eganders

Presumably an 18V Milwaukee with a universal joint can't reach?

Reply to
Duncanwood

Is this a hammer drill/driver? I thought of a right angle drive for one of the standard impact drivers. I was concerned that I might tear the right angle driver up. Maybe an impact universal joint is a thought, Hmmmm.

Reply to
eganders

I was assuming that you were in the UK, (UK.rec.cars.maintenance).

Over here all trucks have ISO test points, which are a fitting standard to any truck, enabling air to be drawn out of the system regardless of vehicle make.

AFAIAA, there is no battery powered device available that would have the sort of torque required to remove seat bolts, except a cordless impact wrench, which would not fit due to access limitations.

Reply to
SimonJ

Nope, they do real impact wrenches

Duncanwood

I dispute that. There should be a quoted figure for voltage drop on the cable specifications.

Reply to
Conor

Why? Just make a pipe up with the make connector on the end so you can plug the red line into it.

However in the case of artics, the trailer air feed pipes are all the same.

Reply to
Conor

More and more you confirm that you are far from qualified to work on trucks.

Reply to
Conor

TBH Simon, with the bullshit about cables and the bollocks he posted above, I don't think I'd let him near a truck with a duster, let alone tools.

Reply to
Conor

: In article , Ian Johnston : says... : > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:37:16 UTC, Conor : > wrote: : > : > : In article , Ian Johnston : > : says... : > : > : > What shall we consider? 13A going through a 100m long extension of : > : > 2.5mm^2 cross section? : > : > : > : > Resistivity of copper is (FX: flick, flick) 16.8 nohm m, so the : > : > resistance is (16.8 x 10^-9) x 100 / (2.5 x 10^-6) which is 0.67 ohm. : > : > Per conductor, of course, so that's a voltage drop in each of 13A x : > : > 0.67 ohm = 8.73V. Feed it with 240V and the compressor will see 240 - : > : > (2 x 8.73) = 222.5V. Since power is proportional to square of voltage, : > : > that's a drop of 14% at the compressor. : > : > : > : When was the last time you saw a 100 metre long extension cable? : > : > They did say they'd need a long one in their case. I use a 50m one at : > home sometimes, and when I do electrical work on my boat in the yard I : > need two of them ... : > : > : And a 8V drop is insignificant ands actually within tolerances for : > : domestic UK supply. : > : > Two 8.7V drops. : > : I dispute that. There should be a quoted figure for voltage drop on the : cable specifications.

Dispute it all you like. I was using Ohm's Law and the properties of metallic copper, though, and neither of those yields to rhetoric!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

You know, you are right!!! That is one reason I am NOT going to tap into the air supply! Last time I fooled around with an air supply, a bunch of wasps had clogged the line in such a way that when I pulled the relief valve, the brake RELEASED! Can you imagine trying to stop a

10 ton military FMTV truck standing outside of it while it was rolling down an incline? Lots of fun, I'll tell you.
Reply to
eganders